Don't Destroy Dandelions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I admit to being in the kill dandelions camp. They are invasive and were brought over here from Europe. Plant native grasses and flowers. I have seen these dandelions destroy a few small native prairie spaces around this city. Worried about bees? Have several pots planted with mint.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love to eat dandelions but not the flower ( I don't think)! I like the very tender new plants, raw in a salad and the larger plants (right before they put out buds) cooked

I haven't had'em in a long time, cause my garden is full of creatures that pee on them lol but I do pick'em for my chickens....I had no idea they would like the flowers as well, I will try giving them some, later today

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have in blossom peach, quincy,plum,haskap, cherry, among some flowers. I checked carefully and found one bumble bee.

Durgan, with as many plants as you need pollinated over the course of a season, why don't you make (or buy) some bee houses for the native bees and hang them around your yard? Native bees are actually better pollinators, and since you are mainly after fruits and vegetables (not honey,) it makes sense! :)

I'm thinking you'd probably want mason bees in the spring, and leaf-cutter bees for the summer! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I live in a subdivision and people would probably snivel and whine if they saw an insect particularly a bee.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I live in a subdivision and people would probably snivel and whine if they saw an insect particularly a bee.

Did you watch the videos? Native bees don't sting!! Also, they don't travel more than 300 feet from the nest. They go out in search of pollen, then back to the nest. With all the plants you have in your garden, it's highly probable that generations of bees would live and die without ever leaving the confines of your yard!! (y) In addition, they are very small, and likely to escape notice. :ninja:

I muse about the claim that bees thrive on dandelions, true or not.

The first sentence in marlingardener's post, (# 7) is that they do. Since she keeps beehives, I see no reason to doubt her statement.;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I will delve into the solitary bees more. My yard is about half an acre and there is sufficient plant material for supporting some bees. Many thanks for the informion.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Durgan, you are a stubborn man, but given a bit more information, you do open your mind to new possibilities. :geek:

It is the most frustrating thing that I like about you. :ROFLMAO: (y)

Half an acre?!? Definitely check into native bees!! (y)

Here, try this one!!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am going to build a few solitary bee houses and see what happens. Ya gotta me convinced.

Yay!!! :joyful:

If I do more research, maybe this year you'll hang dead fish from the pawpaws!! :eek: :D. https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/29-may-2017-pawpaw-asimina-triloba.11722/#post-111914 (C'mon, you have a half an acre...how far can the smell carry? :ROFLMAO:)

Ok, seriously... Do a good amount of research first, I have read so many conflicting things, my brain bogs down! :confused: o_O

I guess if the tube is too short, then only females will develop...? :confused: Some say drilling a hole in a block is good, others say the open ended tube provides necessary air circulation...? :unsure:

Most sites say to provide an awning or eave of sorts to protect from rain or predators like woodpeckers. East facing to get the sun on them early, so they get moving earlier.

Please post pictures of the finished product, and updates on your new residents! :)

Ask a Question