Plants the deer don't like to eat.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Our yard is mostly open and the only fence we have on one side, they hop over easily. We have a crabapple tree that they are familiar with so they visit often. My vegetable garden is not fenced and we have problems with rabbit and deer eating the stuff I grow. I did noticed they didn't touch my mustard greens, arugula, and asparagus made it just fine. I grew brassica as well but nothing touched it after it bolted (well, ok some critter did try it but spit it out)

This lady lists a bunch of edible plants that deer didn't eat in her garden. Some really good ideas here. (She lists of non edibles too but I stopped watching after the edibles, I'm planting mostly food)

https://ugotag.com/s/30-deer-resistant-plants-mostly-edibles.html

Got any others suggestions that have worked for you?

Attachments

• deer.png
    deer.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.groworganic.com/organic-...istant-vegetables-and-berries-for-your-garden

tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers. onions, garlic, rhubarbs..

Deer Avoid Prickly Vegetables. I certainly wouldn't want to eat prickly or sharp leaves, and deer usually feel the same way, shunning plants like squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, globe artichokes and cardoon. That's not to say that I haven't seen the occasional bite out of my cucumber or squash fruits, but once the leaves are ...

Hope it is useful. I only see deer in big parks round here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We use these scarecrow sprinklers to great effect. The noise they make is also very effective. It is not my video. In one of the posts below the video a poster also mentions using balloons for deer. We have also used Irish Spring soap. The sprinklers are better. We should not, but Becky feeds corn in the backyard so we literally have 4-5 family groups in the area. Maybe ours are just too full of corn to be bothered robbing the garden. We also have a fence around the garden, but they could jump it if they wanted to, but I intentionally left it high so predators and cats can get after rabbits and other veggie enthusiasts.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Quite a good gadget. Wonder how long the battery lasts. We bought a laser measurement and after one minute, it screamed battery LOW!!!

In the cupboard it goes. This is fun, DM!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20180321_084847.jpg
battery is 9v and good for the season. Here is the patch earlier in this season and see the fence not lower than a cat to the ground.

edit : sign says garden of weedin

Last edited:

Bluesamurai

Interested in plants
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
http://www.groworganic.com/organic-...istant-vegetables-and-berries-for-your-garden

Deer Avoid Prickly Vegetables. I certainly wouldn't want to eat prickly or sharp leaves, and deer usually feel the same way, shunning plants like squash, pumpkins, cucumbers, globe artichokes and cardoon. That's not to say that I haven't seen the occasional bite out of my cucumber or squash fruits, but once the leaves are ...

Where I live i see deer all the time! There are a ton living in the woods near my house. Not relevent, but something i had to say!

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Thank you alp! How would you describe what cardoons taste like? same as an artichoke?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question