"I Don't Believe it!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a new fridge/freezer last September, because the Bosch we had for ten years went U/S.
Deciding on a "decent one," we chose a Meile from John Lewis, it wasn't cheap at £799.
For the last few days the temperature of the fridge part has been over the place.
Meile's office was closed on Saturday until this morning. After hanging on for fifteen minutes, i finally got through.

The installation of a new computer system, I was told has caused chaos.

I've booked a service call. The earliest they can come is 3rd of April.

I'm not best pleased!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The sad part is that this would probably be classified as good service in today’s world.

My brother in Michigan has an old refrigerator from the early 1950s out in his garage at his hunting cabin. We keep beer and meat in it every year during the season and unplug it when we head back to civilization. Each year it fires up perfectly and has been doing so for over 30 years. This is from an era when companies took pride in their products.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new kitchen ten years ago and bought all new appliances about eight in all. They've all had to be replaced and the dishwasher and the oven twice!
One of the first fridge/freezers we had was a Hotpoint it actually came as a fridge and a freezer, stacked,
It was still going after twenty years, when we swapped it for a bigger one.

The problem is "branding," in some instances.

Bush was a much revered name in audio and TV. They folded and the name sold to a company. Now any old rubbish is turned out under the name "Bush." Even washing machines for cryin' out loud!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you weren't using an 0844 number and be kept on hold. You could send a grumpy twitter to them and you might get a better response.

All these companies spend money on their image or social presence rather than conscience and hence they don't want you to ruin their image and will respond faster than being phoned. Have a go. It's free.

https://twitter.com/Miele_GB?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you weren't using an 0844 number and be kept on hold. You could send a grumpy twitter to them and you might get a better response.

All these companies spend money on their image or social presence rather than conscience and hence they don't want you to ruin their image and will respond faster than being phoned. Have a go. It's free.

https://twitter.com/Miele_GB?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Thanks for that, it was a normal land-line number at the usual rate.

It has been suggested I demand a replacement. under the TDA, but I'd rather it were fixed. The freezer is OK so as there's only one compressor and no element in the fridge, it must draw cold air from the freezer controlled by a thermostat. So I'm hoping it's a software problem. There's been no problems with the freezer section.

An exchange would be so much hassle as the freezer is full and a new one would need too many hours to get down to temperature. I've registered my displeasure with both Meile and John Lewis by e-mail.

"Repercussions," will happen later.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a juicer from Waitrose and it turned out to be a return. The box was full of dents and holes. I know it sounds a bit tedious. If it has problem this earlier, you really have to be careful as it might be a return. You just never know. I have a Bosch washing machine and its timer is always wrong. When I use the spin for 13 minutes. Right at 1 minute to the end, it defected back to 5 minutes. I am not joking. This happened last Sunday. I was standing there. I will never buy anything from Currys. I always paid with Amex and they always sent me a reject. A Satellite Tobshiba came with dents and hole in the box (have to say this is the best machine I have ever had. Jap make is always reliable). An air purifier came with a photocopied instruction leaflet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair we've never had a problem with appliances from Curry's. They exchanged a faulty washing machine we'd had only weeks, the year before last. And when our three year-old Kitchenaid toaster went "bang!" last year which had a five year guarantee, I returned it to Curry's and was sent a new one.

However in the past their customer service was rubbish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@Sean Regan there are usually manual vents in higher end fridges that you can slide to control the fridge temp. They block or open up greater access to the freezer compartment. Usually sliders next to the freezer... both of my dishwashers are Miele and I'm surprised and dissappointed by this lag in service.

My fridges are side by side and that's how tne controls are placed.

Otherwise, I feel your pain.

Ask a Question