Does my plant look healthy enough/ready to bloom? Keeps growing leaves!

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been growing sweetpea flowers for about, maybe 5 or 6 weeks, or even more, I didn't count the time I've had them but I grew these from seed and re-potted them when the tallest stem got to about 20cm in height.

However, it seems like my plant just keeps growing leaves over and over, with no signs of blooming any time soon. I'd never taken care of a plant before this one, so I'm still a beginner. I don't know much about gardening :X3: but I hope I can learn from this forum, since it seems pretty trustworthy.

Does my plant look healthy though? Fed it with multi purpose pour & feed about 8 days ago; though it hasn't really had much of an effect. Also the stems seem weak/leggy and keep drooping over the pot. This might be because of the shifting it has had in position and the window changes - I tried different settings to see how the plant grew and if it grew better in a certain direction. I've always grown the sweetpeas in windowsills, never outside. I water them every single day with a good amount of water. Can someone give me some advice on this?

IMG_20170331_193907.jpg
IMG_20170331_193932.jpg
IMG_20170331_193945.jpg
IMG_20170331_194014.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Do you know what kind it is?

Sweet Peas, at least here (USDA 10a), are planted in the fall and bloom in the spring. Most that I'm familiar with are annuals, I have one in a planter that seems perennial but has not had flowed and I've had it a couple of years. I might have read that also, or they do but no smell. Either way mine that grows like a perennial hasn't flowered and my annuals are just starting to.

You don't say what kind it is but a typical sweet pea might grow to 4' to 6'. Lastly they are generally climbers and should have something to climb on, they need that for well formed stems, stalks and flowers. If it goes outside cool roots and morning sun, sweet peas generally don't like it hot, They don't transplant well, I've done liner to 4" pot and large with only modest results. As far as soil / fertilizer I read different things no opinion there, I've tried different things, nothing noticeable better than the other, I do know nitrogen is not heavily desired-needed fertilizer as green growth is typically not an issue.

Not knowing what kind they are I'd say they basically look fine, have a ways to grow, need something to climb on.

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Greenhorn. Not sure of the kind of sweetpea as I got a seed and soil starter kit pack from a store (yeah, I'm like that) and it didn't really state what kind it was; just said 'sweetpeas' on the front. Also I'll give them something to climb on; I assume that's why they are limping in all directions with different thicknesses.

However, it does seem like they could be annuals from the pictures I'm seeing. As I said I'm still a beginner so I'm trying to do as much research as I can into it but nothing ever comes up for the problems I have; so I guess I'd ask you guys. Thanks for the info!:p

Last edited:

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lol Chuck I just realised how silly I sound :LOL: I guess I'm just paranoid about everything!

Ask a Question