Does anyone know this plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
This plant was a volunteer in the garden this year. It came up in what i call the "slug breeding grounds" area of the garden, a little overgrown, moist, corner with frequent periods of shade. I cleaned up this corner, put a layer of sand to discourage the slugs, but left this little plant to grow. When it was very small we thought i might be a Cacao Tree, but as it grew it became clear that it is not. It is now 5 ft tall (152 cm) and the new growth at the top indicates that maybe it is going to make a flower. The mature leaves are 10 inches (26 cm) long and not what you would call delicate. The leaves also have a distinct pungent odor, not disgusting, but on the unpleasant side. I am starting to wonder if this is some kind of tobacco plant. The insects and other odds and ends of critters don't bother it. Any ideas?
P1020677.JPG

P1020676.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
It's very pretty but I do not know what it is. The app Plantifier has helped me in identifying plants. If you don't get an answer here, post your photos there and you will get a response within 24 hours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe this may be a species of Cestrum, in the Nightshade Family (Solanaceae). In Mexico, there are both native and introduced species that could be distributed by birds.

Ask a Question