Does anybody use a weed trimmer?

Reaction score
I've only used a weed eater once and I didn't like it. What I do instead is trim the yard with a pair of grass shears. It's probably a bit more work than using a weed eater, but there are no moving or spinning parts. I can use these and easily edge the entire yard and trim in and around my flowers without fear of whacking them off.

Reaction score
Whew, that sounds like a lot of work to do it with garden shears! I can understand your concerns, though. There are probably garden shears that can be used to trim down low to the ground that don't require any bend or stooping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I do use a trimmer, but have generally found them to be a pain in the neck. Wearing eye protection is a must. As to protection further down, I haven't really had to bother with said.

Reaction score
Great advice, everyone! I like the shin guard idea. And of course it's tempting to wear shorts in the summer but don't! Thick pants to weed eat ... that's a great idea.

Reaction score
I got put off them when I strimmed a dead rat in the long grass, I was just covered in stinking rotten flesh. Didn't like that bit.:(

That sounds horrific, total nightmare fuel. I'm usually tough for being a female and I'm not scared of crawly things, but if I had chunks of dead rat on me, I would be screaming like a little girl. That is ghastlier than a thousand ghouls, as Stewie Griffin would say.

Reaction score
I use a smallish electric weed trimmer because my current apartment is attached to a house so there are weeds and a yard that has to be dealt with.
I've had a few small cuts on my legs from flying pebbles and sticks, but thankfully, no dead rats or bigger rocks flying at me.
The annoying part that makes it a chore is the electric cord, which becomes unplugged if I stray too far from the apartment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I think you guys are just all missing one of life's greatest joys ! (Well, maybe not quite THAT) I just love my weedeater, and in fact we have at least 4 of them. I have a little electric one, a Black and Decker battery operated one, and my Featherlite. We also have " the Big Guy" that my husband uses for the heavier weed eating.
I do around all the flowers and shrubs (since they all look the same to a man with a weedeater), and Bobby does the weeds around the edge of the meadow that are too big for my Featherlite.
I should wear long pants, but I usually don't, and my legs are green after a good weed eating session, so a brush down and shower are the first things I do afterwards, then time for a little nap.

Reaction score
I got put off them when I strimmed a dead rat in the long grass, I was just covered in stinking rotten flesh. Didn't like that bit.:(

Oh I can't even imagine that one! I think I would have been quite disgusted myself on that one. Fortunately I have never got an animal with it, but I don't use the weed whacker (it is funny how this has different names everywhere) as often as the honey does now.

Reaction score
I think you guys are just all missing one of life's greatest joys ! (Well, maybe not quite THAT) I just love my weedeater, and in fact we have at least 4 of them. I have a little electric one, a Black and Decker battery operated one, and my Featherlite. We also have " the Big Guy" that my husband uses for the heavier weed eating.
I do around all the flowers and shrubs (since they all look the same to a man with a weedeater), and Bobby does the weeds around the edge of the meadow that are too big for my Featherlite.
I should wear long pants, but I usually don't, and my legs are green after a good weed eating session, so a brush down and shower are the first things I do afterwards, then time for a little nap.

I think you might have fun weed eating because you have a battery operated weed eater. Mine is electric , so if I wander too far away, it gets unplugged.
I rent an apartment that's attached to a house, so I've had the fun of weed eater duty. The part of it I hate is getting unplugged but I probably won't be renting this place long enough to justify getting a battery operated weed eater.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
No gadgets for me down my own knees to get these weeds out by hand.

Reaction score
No gadgets for me down my own knees to get these weeds out by hand.

Wow, you're really patient. I don't have the patience to do weeding by hand. I just want to mow them down with the weed whacker and get it over with.
The only hand weeding I do is around flowers because I don't want to use the weed whacker near flowers and kill the flowers by accident.

Jed

Reaction score
i use a stihl weed wacker and luv it

I bought a pair of chaps and a full head shield and muffs when I invested in a metal weedwakka. I think the Stihl only do a nylon version. They can also be be dangerous if they fly apart.
I've now bought an amazing alex brushcutter head that does the same job but much faster than the wakka. The one I use has 6 strips of very thick nylon coming from the head rather than the standard two.The one shown is only the 4 version. I have tough terrain to clear so need the heaviest I can get.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...hozc_DXNAxoazM8KDO1Cy5NJGO_mNxkV7GwvlXskefFeO
images

Reaction score
I love my trimmer. It's electric and not that heavy. I do think that whoever it was above, that said experience helps to learn the proper angles and such, was on the right track. I find that each time I use it, I learn more about safety and efficiency. The first time I used it I went so fast and I wore shorts and sandals, not thinking at all, and I ended up covered in tiny scrapes from some thorny weeds I encountered! I am slower now and wear long pants and substantial shoes. Keep working with the trimmer you have and you will figure out the best way to hold it and the correct speed to attack the overgrowth, I'm sure!

Ask a Question