Does anybody spray sulphuric acid for PH?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you do, would you mind sharing what equipment you use? I know hydroponics uses/is a water mix but I was curious about using acidic water on my lawn and garden soil. I have actually ordered pelletized sulfur but since the subject came up when I was choosing that product I would like to learn more. The PH is very high in the lawn, 8 or slightly more so bringing it down safely has drawn my attention. I was thinking a dilute solution of acid might be the safest way to get this PH down this year in a uniform way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I learned a long time ago that trying to permanently or moderate to long term change a soils Ph is a total waste of time and money. For short term, sure you can change Ph but at what monetary cost. And using sulphuric acid is the most expensive method of all. The best way to lower Ph is to add copious amounts of peat but even this is not permanent. Next is sulphur and using a lot of sulphur causes salt buildup over time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I read where the sulphur would marry the calcium and make gypsum and a separate salt, which would leach away with rain. Percolation is an issue for clay. I cannot imagine mine is better. But a high PH is actually an indicator of salts? They were saying higher than 8.4ph but still is that a direction? This was on our local county resource and in a publication from Auburn University our soil experts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I read where the sulphur would marry the calcium and make gypsum and a separate salt, which would leach away with rain. Percolation is an issue for clay. I cannot imagine mine is better. But a high PH is actually an indicator of salts? They were saying higher than 8.4ph but still is that a direction? This was on our local county resource and in a publication from Auburn University our soil experts.
I don't think salts are a natural product of a high Ph. , at least mine isn't. About 20 years ago my soil Ph was 8.2. I had it tested again 4 years ago and in 16 years of nothing but manure based fertilizers and natural amendments my soil is now 7.7. Still a bit alkaline but it works for most plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thats the lower PH range I am getting out of my garden this spring for the same reasons. Although I did use a little sulphur last year during the high point of the fungal season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cannot edit, but for the casual reader, ph above 8.4 is in fact indicative of a higher salt content. The general idea is to change tne chemistry such that salts are purified and isolated whereby they might be diluted and leached away by more than 6 inches of water, such as the case for certain weed killers like roundup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cannot edit, but for the casual reader, ph above 8.4 is in fact indicative of a higher salt content. The general idea is to change tne chemistry such that salts are purified and isolated whereby they might be diluted and leached away by more than 6 inches of water, such as the case for certain weed killers like roundup.
Leached... to where? This sounds suspiciously like, "from the left pocket to the right pocket."

Ask a Question