Does anybody use a weed trimmer?

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me or if anyone has had this problem. I used to use my weed trimmer all the time, but since I got hit with a rock on my leg trimming last spring, I'm very hesitant to use it again. I was wearing jeans at the time, but it still left a huge cut on my shin. I really need to give my lawn a trim, but I don't want to start dreading the task, I love taking care of my lawn. So if anyone has had this problem, can you please share how you got over the fear of flying debris?

Reaction score
You can invest in a cheap pair of Shin Guards. :)

I am also fearful of flying debris from weed trimming. My husband was trimming my neighbor's yard and left the trimmer on idle and turned it around so he can bend down in pick up trash. At that same moment my two year old son ran over to him while I was holding my two month old baby. I couldn't scream or get to him fast enough to stop what I knew was about to happen. It was like a nightmare moving in slow motion when no one can hear you scream. Sure enough, it happened. My little boy ran face first into the moving weed trimmer. He threw up an arm to protect his face but he had already received several welts. Nothing was life threatening but it was still horrifying.

41ULhCADClL._AA160_.jpg

Reaction score
Angle the weed whacker a little away from you on the bottom (this will give it a slight lean outward.) By leaning the bottom outward, the rocks are more likely to hit the ground before your leg. Also you do need to keep an eye on the area you are doing. If there are more rocks, you may want to make that area just a little taller so you are not getting so close to the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I love my weedeater ! I have a smaller Featherlite , and it does a great job clearing out the yard around my plants, but I am also very careful if I have to work around the driveway where there are rocks and gravel. Tilting it so the shield protects you and rocks are thrown the other way will help, but I think you would need to wear heavy jeans and boots if you have to do an area with a lot of rocks. Eye protection goggles are important, too !

Reaction score
Working for a lawn care company for many years, I have used many different types of weed trimmers. Some we had were very powerful and could certainly throw rocks and other debris with quite some force. It was mandatory that we wore safety goggles and long, thick pants while we worked. The more experience you get with your trimmer, the more you learn the better angles to hold it and certain areas of your yard where debris might be more of a problem. I do know that some of the smaller electric trimmers are much less powerful and intimidating. If you only have lighter trimming to do, I might suggest looking into one of these.

Reaction score
You can invest in a cheap pair of Shin Guards. :)

I am also fearful of flying debris from weed trimming. My husband was trimming my neighbor's yard and left the trimmer on idle and turned it around so he can bend down in pick up trash. At that same moment my two year old son ran over to him while I was holding my two month old baby. I couldn't scream or get to him fast enough to stop what I knew was about to happen. It was like a nightmare moving in slow motion when no one can hear you scream. Sure enough, it happened. My little boy ran face first into the moving weed trimmer. He threw up an arm to protect his face but he had already received several welts. Nothing was life threatening but it was still horrifying.

View attachment 517

That must have been so scary for all of you to go through that. I'm really glad there wasn't severe injuries because of it. It's still dramatizing to have to go through that. That is one of the reasons why I don't really look forward to using my weed trimmer. I will definitely look into getting those shin guards. Thank you so much for your help and advice.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I got put off them when I strimmed a dead rat in the long grass, I was just covered in stinking rotten flesh. Didn't like that bit.:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
@Djbrat - You could also consider a pair of chainsaw chaps. Eye protection is a must as well IMO.

@Lilley1 - That would have been a nightmare! Glad the little guy was not seriously hurt.

@zigs - How terrible. I bet that did put you off using weed trimmers for quite some time.

Reaction score
I got put off them when I strimmed a dead rat in the long grass, I was just covered in stinking rotten flesh. Didn't like that bit.:(

OMG!!! I could not even imagine! :eek:

I think that is the moment you start working overtime just to pay for lawn service.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
LOL :D

To be fair, its not happened since.

Reaction score
Had a fright when a stone banged into the patio window when I was using a trimmer lucky it didn’t break. Since then I always wear eye protection and use shears when close to patio windows etc.! Also had a bad experience when I killed a grass snake by accident with a trimmer and to make it worse I had never seen a grass snake in my life until that day! I was so upset.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww, thats sad Pete:(

Don't think we've mentioned Hogweed, don't want to go strimming that down unless you like photosensive burns:eek:

Reaction score
One thing that might be helpful is to do a quick inspection of the yard (or area) before using the weedeater. Take a grabber tool and a small bucket to collect anything that might be hazardous. This will also give you more confidence about the area you're about to work in. Also, some knee-high rubber boots might help.

Ask a Question