Do you visit your garden everyday?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes I also inspect my garden first thing in the morning before work to see if any of my plants were damaged by deer. Then after work, which btw is also gardening as I work in a botanical garden, I may do any of several of these: I go to my garden and check if any plants need water and then water all of them, check for any additional chipmunk holes, start weeding, planning out what new plants to plant where, hedging, mulching or just start planting some of my new shrubs or trees. My yard is in a process of reform right now. And I am doing this ALL myself so yea it is going to take time so I gotta do this everyday even if I'm in physical pain and very tired from work. The past couple saturdays, I've been working from 7AM and work non-stop until like 4 or 5. And the next day my whole body gets sore and I got a very bad fever last time. So I'm thinking of cutting back on the intense hours but I will never go a day without gardening! Theres just soooo much things to do you literally cannot afford to skip one day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
depends on the amount of rain and snow.

Indeed. Absolutely nothing growing here for 4-5 months of winter, it's all frozen. I still go out every day to pick up dog poop, feed birds and outdoor cats and such. But there's no garden to tend to or enjoy from about November through March. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think there has been a day in the last 20 years, except when I was in hospital, that I have not been into the garden, if only for a few moments. We have to go through it to reach the car for a start.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This year I have a lot more free time to take better care of my garden and like others have mentioned, mornings are when I check on things. I can't honestly say I do it everyday because occasionally life needs attention. The thing I very much dislike is weeding. Maybe it's old age or whatever, but I don't see the attraction. This year I covered my raised bed (9'x36') with black weed guard fabric and then a layer of straw. No more weeding which makes me very happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
It is the habit every morning, that my cat Teddy yells at me. To "go for a walk" in the gardens. So with coffee in hand, we leave the back door and roam around looking, he following me on the side. We end up in the gazebo for a sit and he lays next to me. Coffee is finished then we start the walk back up a path. He is content.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It is the habit every morning, that my cat Teddy yells at me. To "go for a walk" in the gardens. So with coffee in hand, we leave the back door and roam around looking, he following me on the side. We end up in the gazebo for a sit and he lays next to me. Coffee is finished then we start the walk back up a path. He is content.

Aww! Funny, my young cat Chunk has started doing the same thing, it's becoming a routine. I always go out for a garden wander early mornings, and he follows around. He bats at plants and pounces on things and just generally keeps me company. It's sweet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This year I have a lot more free time to take better care of my garden and like others have mentioned, mornings are when I check on things. I can't honestly say I do it everyday because occasionally life needs attention. The thing I very much dislike is weeding. Maybe it's old age or whatever, but I don't see the attraction. This year I covered my raised bed (9'x36') with black weed guard fabric and then a layer of straw. No more weeding which makes me very happy.

Weirdly I rather enjoy weeding. o_O I wander about pulling weeds in the mornings when it's cool, I find it satisfying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Aww! Funny, my young cat Chunk has started doing the same thing, it's becoming a routine. I always go out for a garden wander early mornings, and he follows around. He bats at plants and pounces on things and just generally keeps me company. It's sweet.
Beth, start with the walk by saying to him "go for walk" "go for walk" they do catch on. Keep the same tone of voice, wording ect. You said he was young. truly it will work. My guys know other statements. Go to your room, want outside. and a few more. they do get it. Just have to connect the phrase with the action each time. Little do you know he is watching you. seeing your actions prior to you going outside in your garden, he is figuring out that is your next move.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm out in the garden by 6:00 am every with a cup tea and Fern right behind me, I check all my plants and plan what I need to do for the day, even if its raining we go out and check, the gardens are what keeps me happy so I take care of them.

Ask a Question