What about photos of garden visitors? (Maybe not for squeamish)

Reaction score
gSakfCK.jpg

tQjmv3q.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMG_0001.JPG

I told him if he ate my garden I would eat him but he didn't believe a word I said

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 389

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This poor Goldfinch was hanging around for weeks in Spring. It only had one eye and even that one looked bad. It could fly, slowly, but not too clumsy. It was drinking out of my gutter until it found my bog. Eventually it stopped showing up, so it probably died. I, myself, almost stepped on it once & almost rolled over it with a cart. More often than not you could walk right up to it.
DSCN4868.png

Since my garden is based around my garden pond, I get aquatic visitors too.
IMG_0729.png
DSCN5394.png

IMG_6732t.png

Of course, insects of all types show up, too. Bees, flies, grasshoppers, soldier beetles, etc.
IMG_0736.png

Reaction score
Awesome thread! I get a lot garden visitors, mostly birds, hurt birds or birds that like to leave a lot holes all over my succulents!

Reaction score
This poor Goldfinch was hanging around for weeks in Spring. It only had one eye and even that one looked bad. It could fly, slowly, but not too clumsy. It was drinking out of my gutter until it found my bog. Eventually it stopped showing up, so it probably died. I, myself, almost stepped on it once & almost rolled over it with a cart. More often than not you could walk right up to it.
View attachment 3523

View attachment 3524 View attachment 3528
View attachment 3526
Of course, insects of all types show up, too. Bees, flies, grasshoppers, soldier beetles, etc.
View attachment 3525

Poo thing! That goldfinch!!! It's so disheartening when I find a bird with a broken leg or wing. I find dead ones often too. I just found one of those small turkish pigeons, it was trapped in its nest, got trapped with one of those plastic ribbon. Long story short, the poor thing lost 2 fingers and almost loses the leg trying to desperately fly off. I liberated it, but can't fly. Its mom was bringing it food, but I couldn't live knowing that poor thing was trapped, I found out now so I set it free! Sadly it couldn't fly too far. I hate that kind of findings...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I feel so very sorry for the poor frog in the first picture. This world is such a cruel and awful place. Sometimes I hate nature:cry:
Chuck - this deer is so cute! Does he visit your garden often?
Animals stay away from my garden, because they're scared of my dog;)

Reaction score
I love the great photos! My daughter found three swallowtail caterpillars on our parsley yesterday and put them into her insect observatory with plenty of parsley. One is already looking as though ready to start forming a chrysalis. I suppose I should be concerned with the number of visitors I have eating my salad greens and herbs this year, but in the case of these three caterpillars, I know what beautiful butterflies to expect later.

Reaction score
Oh my - I have so many different kinds of wildlife that visit my garden on a regular basis - I really don't know where to start - so much so - that you'd probably think I lived in some kind of nature reserve :D

So although I have - all the normal regular visitors that other people have like cats - mine and all the neighborhood ones plus the occasional visit from my neighbors dogs, chickens, turkeys and goats - as well as

Hares and rabbits who come to raid my vegetable garden and eat the cats food
Rodents of all descriptions
Crickets and locusts
All the reptile family too snakes, lizards and scorpions
Frogs and toads in large numbers who love to party, tell jokes and laugh continually at all times of the day and night
Foxes and their cubs
Hedgehogs
and hundreds of different birds from the normal ones like sparrows, finches and starlings to the more unusual ones like red legged partridges, owls of every kind, as well almost every type of bird of prey including eagles and honey buzzards, golden oriels, an abundance of blue magpies and bee -eaters.
Together with hundreds of wonderfully colored butterflies, moths and dragonflies

I'm choosing a picture of the regular garden visitor that I dislike the most

The giant centipede

CENTIPEDE - Big.jpg

and this one here is just a small one :eek:

SV401596.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh my - I have so many different kinds of wildlife that visit my garden on a regular basis - I really don't know where to start - so much so - that you'd probably think I lived in some kind of nature reserve :D

So although I have - all the normal regular visitors that other people have like cats - mine and all the neighborhood ones plus the occasional visit from my neighbors dogs, chickens, turkeys and goats - as well as

Hares and rabbits who come to raid my vegetable garden and eat the cats food
Rodents of all descriptions
Crickets and locusts
All the reptile family too snakes, lizards and scorpions
Frogs and toads in large numbers who love to party, tell jokes and laugh continually at all times of the day and night
Foxes and their cubs
Hedgehogs
and hundreds of different birds from the normal ones like sparrows, finches and starlings to the more unusual ones like red legged partridges, owls of every kind, as well almost every type of bird of prey including eagles and honey buzzards, golden oriels, an abundance of blue magpies and bee -eaters.
Together with hundreds of wonderfully colored butterflies, moths and dragonflies

I'm choosing a picture of the regular garden visitor that I dislike the most

The giant centipede

View attachment 3535

and this one here is just a small one :eek:

View attachment 3538
Those centipedes are dangerous, at least the ones here are. They are a little different color here. Ours are black with orange legs with big pinchers. They are also mildly venemous and will give you a very nasty bite. They are meat eaters and like small frogs and larger insects like grasshoppers and ground beetles. The biggest I have ever seen was about a foot long. Thankfully they are rather rare. I wished I had a pic of one

Last edited:
Reaction score
They're dangerous here too Chuck that's why just the sight of a centipede always freaks me out
Smiley - Freaking-out.png
as just one bite always needs a rapid trip to the emergency room.

Unfortunately they are not at all rare here and in fact are quite abundant - as well as a big problem too - as they like to live both in the garden and inside the house as well - which is why here - we always check shoes before putting them on and of course the bed before getting into it, as they have a tendency to drop out of the ceiling - on a regular basis :eek:

Reaction score
View attachment 3523

View attachment 3524 View attachment 3528
View attachment 3526
View attachment 3525

Your photos are gorgeous. I like the frog and the toad, and the ducks. You're lucky to have such interesting guests. Poor Goldfinch. At least it felt comfortable enough in your garden to hang out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm so happy there are no centipedes in my area! If they lived here, I'd stop taking care of my garden and I would hide at home, in my bathtub;) They can't swim, can they? I hate creatures like this. They're so scary. They have too many legs:eek:
Are centipedes aggressive? Or maybe they avoid people?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm so happy there are no centipedes in my area! If they lived here, I'd stop taking care of my garden and I would hide at home, in my bathtub;) They can't swim, can they? I hate creatures like this. They're so scary. They have too many legs:eek:
No they aren't aggressive. If I remember right they are anthropods. They don't avoid people and they don't come after people. They just.............................are

Reaction score

At my old apartment, we had a lot of millipedes that would come in from the garden every time it rained. But millipedes aren't nearly as bad as centipedes.
They're small and have wispy legs like little hairs and they curl up into a coil if you touch them. I don't like them, but I'm glad they're not centipedes.

1-os-lk-millipedes+(4).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Chuck - good to know:) I thought that maybe they attack people.
ACSAPA - I think I saw creatures like this in my garden too, but they were much shorter and not so narrow. They did curl up into a coil.

Ask a Question