Garden birds visiting

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We don't have house finches all year 'round, but when they arrive they love our suet feeders. Here are two males having lunch:
House Finch b.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
House finches are great! I see quite a few during the spring months. None just yet. We typically have a lot of American Goldfinches around here, which is awesome. We even have a small population of European Goldfinches living in the area. Don't see them often but they look amazing. I guess if we have to have non-native birds living here, I'd take those over House Sparrows or European Starlings.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have also bought up some suet cylinders .. LOL! In this weather, they will need a lot of these. Very thoughtful and kind of you. I have never seen one like this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It is fast approaching the time of year you should put out nesting materials for the birds too. I nail cans to trees and put old yarn and hair from the dogs and horses in them. You would be surprised how many birds this attracts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Silent, we have lots of trees (as do you) so we only have three bird houses. I put dryer lint from cotton clothing loads out for the birds.
Good reminder to help birds with their nesting!(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
imga0017-jpg.32809

Finally got 2 or more in my garden. Taken from inside the lean to, so a bit blurred. I hope they will start coming now. So glad that I captured 2 today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How lovely! We don't have House Finches in the UK (as far as I'm aware), but my step-dad has a family of Goldfinches he sees regularly in his garden :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How lovely! We don't have House Finches in the UK (as far as I'm aware), but my step-dad has a family of Goldfinches he sees regularly in his garden :)

They are lovely, but very quarrelsome and always have fireworks fighting for their foothold on the bird feeders. The blue tits will fly after an invader and go back to its original position. Goldfinches will make a lot of noises and will even come to blow, reminding me of Jeremy Kyle show participants! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I am awaiting the arrival of House Finches. They seem to leave in early winter and return in early spring. I noted yesterday that the Chickadees were in a fighting mood, must be a sign of spring.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I watched Alaska Ice Cold Killers in which I saw your nuthatch fleeting around a resident. That was such a gorgeous little bird. So close and intimate. Here, I open the door, all the birds will flee. Please share your joy. Johnny!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I don't like starting a new thread if there is one close enough to continue on. Found this one.

This morning at my bird feeders saw several species of birds---red wing black birds. several blue bird (the one with the orange belly)--both female and male, both genders of gold finch, both genders of cardinal , chick a dees, doves, wood peckers, Robins are pulling out worms. House wrens. think that is it.

Emma

Recreational bird watcher and novice gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don't like starting a new thread if there is one close enough to continue on. Found this one.

This morning at my bird feeders saw several species of birds---red wing black birds. several blue bird (the one with the orange belly)--both female and male, both genders of gold finch, both genders of cardinal , chick a dees, doves, wood peckers, Robins are pulling out worms. House wrens. think that is it.
Wow, that must be lovely to watch!
At my feeder, I have been seeing downy woodpecker, redheaded woodpecker, tufted titmice, house finches, pine warblers, brown headed nuthatches, white breasted nut hatches, mourning doves, cardinals, robins (on the ground), juncos, sparrows, and occasionally a red shouldered hawk! Hoping to see some blue birds and maybe an indigo bunting. :snaphappy:

Emma

Recreational bird watcher and novice gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When do you start getting Hummingbirds? @Emma . As your south of me hopefully soon.
I feel like I usually see them in May around here. But with the pollen already covering everything in yellow, maybe it could be sooner? II don' have a hummingbird feeder yet myself, but am contemplating getting one as long as wasps won't be able to use it.

Ask a Question