Visited my old garden this past weekend

Reaction score
And I do have to say I was depressed. All the many banana trees have flowers, there were dragonflies and wildflowers everywhere. One thing I will not miss is the gunnera my ex allowed to grow everywhere. I'm just used to the semi tropics and I don't know if I will ever get used to it here. I miss live oaks and magnolias, which I assume will not grow here. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 303
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And I do have to say I was depressed. All the many banana trees have flowers, there were dragonflies and wildflowers everywhere. One thing I will not miss is the gunnera my ex allowed to grow everywhere. I'm just used to the semi tropics and I don't know if I will ever get used to it here. I miss live oaks and magnolias, which I assume will not grow here. Help!
It would help if we knew where you were and what you are depressed about the plants you now have

Reaction score
Hi there! It doesn't sound so bad, why are you so depressed? I hope you didn't find some of your fav plants dead or in a bad shape.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear you are so depressed over your garden. I understand how you feel about plants that you like that will not grow in your current area. There are plants that grow in California that will not grow on the east coast that I miss also. Find a plant that you like that grows where you are now and love it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know how you feel. I dream of growing jacaranda trees in my garden, but I can't do this, because the climate here is too cold:( But don't be depressed:) I'm sure there are many beautiful plants that you can grow.

Reaction score
I guess I just need to do research as to what will grow here. I like banana trees, citrus, gardenia, live oak, jasmine, roses, magnolia. I moved from Mobile, AL to the St Louis area of Missouri. Does anyone have any suggestions of similar things that might grow here?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I guess I just need to do research as to what will grow here. I like banana trees, citrus, gardenia, live oak, jasmine, roses, magnolia. I moved from Mobile, AL to the St Louis area of Missouri. Does anyone have any suggestions of similar things that might grow here?
Quite a bit depends on your soil type, whether it is alkaline or acidic. It is too cold there for any type of outdoor citrus or bananas if you want fruit. My advise would be to go to a good local reputable nursery and talk to them

Ask a Question