Butterfly Garden Visitor

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was out in the garden most of Tuesday taking care of various things when a new butterfly I'd not seen in my garden before decided to pop in for a visit. I debated about going inside to get a camera, but I did and it was still in the yard when I went back out. This one is a fast flyer! It almost darts about at hummingbird speed. Fortunately it was kind enough to settle on my new asters so I could get a picture of it.

12032264_10207207803651111_7784363159481239854_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's absolutely beautiful!!! And it seems really big. I love the pattern on its wings.
Butterflies are amazing creatures:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was out in the garden most of Tuesday taking care of various things when a new butterfly I'd not seen in my garden before decided to pop in for a visit. I debated about going inside to get a camera, but I did and it was still in the yard when I went back out. This one is a fast flyer! It almost darts about at hummingbird speed. Fortunately it was kind enough to settle on my new asters so I could get a picture of it.

12032264_10207207803651111_7784363159481239854_n.jpg
What you have taken a great picture of is called a Buckeye Butterfly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful capture of a beautiful butterfly! If I am not wrong it is the buckeye butterfly? I am having a great time watching different butterflies in my garden earlier last months, and now it is time for skipper on my wild aster.
IMG_5205.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
ChannellG and Icy BC, lovely butterfly photos. I have my "What Plant Is That?" And my "What Bird Is That?" On hand on my " garden surveying " verandah. I can see I'll need a "What Butterfly Is That!" as well. :LOL:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm jealous!

I remember when I was a kid I had a book of butterflies and moths. The two I wanted to see most were the Buckeye butterfly and Luna Moth. I saw the Luna Moth once and it is something I hope everyone gets to see one day. I still to this day have not seen a Buckeye.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What you have taken a great picture of is called a Buckeye Butterfly

I know. (The butterfly, not "great" photo part - and thanks!) One of the purposes in getting a photo was so that I could look it up. :) I was about to get rid of a volunteer plant that I have since learned is a host for it. I've moved that plant over next to the asters it was on when I photographed it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's absolutely beautiful!!! And it seems really big. I love the pattern on its wings.
Butterflies are amazing creatures:love:

Aren't they? It is fairly big compared to the gulf fritillary butterflies that visit and lay eggs on the passion vine, but smaller than the monarchs and swallowtails.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Beautiful capture of a beautiful butterfly! If I am not wrong it is the buckeye butterfly? I am having a great time watching different butterflies in my garden earlier last months, and now it is time for skipper on my wild aster.
View attachment 8945

Apparently asters are quite popular with butterflies, @IcyBC :)

It is indeed a buckeye, something I'd not seen in my yard before, in spite of all the wild petunias growing about the neighborhood. Earlier in the year I spotted a red admiral; thinking of ordering false nettle seeds to be able to host those in the yard next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm jealous!

I remember when I was a kid I had a book of butterflies and moths. The two I wanted to see most were the Buckeye butterfly and Luna Moth. I saw the Luna Moth once and it is something I hope everyone gets to see one day. I still to this day have not seen a Buckeye.

I had a book like that of birds. I think I gave it to someone else's kid at some point. Sometimes I wish I still had it, though at least now there's the internet where you can get answers to to what something is fairly quickly at any time of the day or night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChannellG and Icy BC, lovely butterfly photos. I have my "What Plant Is That?" And my "What Bird Is That?" On hand on my " garden surveying " verandah. I can see I'll need a "What Butterfly Is That!" as well. :LOL:

Well, as long as you have internet access you can easily look up a butterfly from the veranda or anyplace else. Someone at work was telling me about a butterfly he'd seen in his garden at home, and from the description I assume it was a red admiral. I pulled up a photo and showed it to him and it was indeed the same one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All I got this year was fritillary butterflies, I didn't get any Monarch or Swallow tails this year or at least I didn't see any :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All I got this year was fritillary butterflies, I didn't get any Monarch or Swallow tails this year or at least I didn't see any :(

This year in my yard I have seen red admiral, gulf fritillary, monarch, eastern swallowtail, giant swallowtail, and buckeye butterflies. There was even a hummingbird sighting in the spring, but I wasn't home and I missed it :-( Hopefully next year I will get the butterfly habitat up again.

Ask a Question