What is your favorite garden visitor?

Reaction score
We live right on the forest, so we have many neighbours that hang out just outside our back garden - deer, porcupines, squirrels, birds. Our back yard is fenced, so we don't get too many visitors in the yard itself. I have surprised chipmunks in the garden a couple of times though, when I've taken the dog out in the late afternoon. I just love them because they are so sweet looking, and curious, that I don't mind if they sample a bit of the greenery. I also had a baby racoon come visit me one afternoon, which I would have enjoyed more if our old dog hadn't been in the yard at the same time. He is half blind, and deaf, and I spent the whole time trying to get him out of the yard in case the baby racoon's mom showed up in a bad mood. But my very favorite garden visitor I have only found in the flower beds in the front yard. We have teeny tiny little ground frogs. I'd never heard of them before we moved here, but they are dark grey frogs that live in the dirt, rather than around water. They are about the size of my thumb, and just the cutest things I've ever seen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have a very small but also quite aggressive and very territorial Yorkie, so not too many creatures dare to visit my garden:p
My favorite would be butterflies because they're the most beautiful. I also like dragonflies, ladybugs, june bugs, hedgehogs and squirells.

Reaction score
Oh, we've never got a hedgehog dropping by - I'd love that - they are so cute. I love the butterflies as well, and the dragon flies this year have been magnificent. And we actually had a hummingbird come by the other day to visit one of our hanging baskets. For me, the visitors are half the fun of the garden :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Because my garden is on my balcony which is on the fifth floor, I don't get the visitors I used to in my backyard. I do get butterflies and the odd dragonfly and pigeons. I love the butterflies and dragonflies but the pigeons are just too messy. I would never hurt them but I do shoo them away...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Found a little old lady in my garden, grinning at me. I was a bit worried till I found out she was a member of another forum I belong to, she'd brought some plants round to swap :)

Reaction score
I like the squirrels and birds best, and am happy to share some of my berries with them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
TheCrazyPlantLady - I dream about little hummingbirds visiting my garden, it would be magical! Unfortunately, they don't live in my climate zone, it's too cold for them here.
I agree that hedgehogs are cute. They look so funny. During winter, they hide in my garden and they sleep under leaves. My dog hates them:confused:
Zigs - lol, I don't know what would I do if I found an old lady in my garden:p

Reaction score
Found a little old lady in my garden, grinning at me. I was a bit worried till I found out she was a member of another forum I belong to, she'd brought some plants round to swap :)
Thank you Zigs, that made me laugh! I'm glad she wasn't just a random old lady who liked to stand in people's gardens and grin!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
The only wild creatures I see around here are birds. We had a pair of spotted thick-knees (known in South Africa as dikkops) which nested in our garden for two summers. Sadly their babies never survived and they have since found a new summer home, though I still sometimes hear them wandering the streets at night. I sometimes wonder if it was the neighbourhood cats that drove them away.

Ask a Question