Garden Movies - What's Your Favorite?

Reaction score
While there aren't many movies out there that focus solely on gardening, a couple of my favorite movies ever definitely fit into this category. Here they are:

Little Shop of Horrors - Okay, so none of us want to breed man-eating plants that originated from outer space, but I love the musical version of this story. Favorite songs - Grow for Me and Somewhere that's Green.

Adaptation - Twisted book within a movie within something else. Clever, confusing, but so well-written and acted. Chris Cooper is a revelation as the Orchid Thief.

Which one's do you like?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've always loved the Secret Garden, both the book and the movie. I know that it's a story for children, but I can't help it, I keep dreaming about finding a secret garden surrounded with high, stone walls, with wild roses growing inside. It would be more than wonderful!

Reaction score
I like the secret garden as well. I have the movie and the book. I love the book and the movie. I Read the book as a child and when I got older I bought me a copy because this was one of the first books I read and it was what got me so interested in reading. When I saw that they had made a movie of this I immediately went out and bought it. I loved the movie and still watch it from time to time. I think they did a good job with it and I was glad it was so close to the book.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can't think of a single gardening movie at the moment, but when it comes to one of my other favorite pastimes I definitely have a list. One of those talks about grape growing, so technically we could say there is a gardening element, lol. The movie is "A Good Year," with Russel Crowe. Most of it takes place at a gorgeous French Chateau that will make you want to hop on a plane.

Reaction score
i don't know if i've ever thought about a garden movie, but i have a stevie wonder soundtrack called " the secret life of plants". i know it's from a movie about plants, and a lot of the songs have plant/garden themes, but nothing beyond that. love the album though. it's high on my desert island list.

Reaction score
Greenfingers looks interesting, and I LOVE Helen Mirren. And I also adore "The Secret Garden." I had an elementary school teacher (4th grade?) that read it to us out loud. The movie was great as was the Broadway play.

Reaction score
turns out
i don't know if i've ever thought about a garden movie, but i have a stevie wonder soundtrack called " the secret life of plants". i know it's from a movie about plants, and a lot of the songs have plant/garden themes, but nothing beyond that. love the album though. it's high on my desert island list.

couldn't edit the first reply. turns out the whole movie is on you tube

Reaction score
I know this is not considered a garden movie, but I liked A Bug's Life. I thought it was the cutest movie about ants having to harvest for grasshoppers. I found the circus bugs funny as well. I loved this movie even though it's a kids movie.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
It's not a gardening movie, but "Snow White and the Huntsman" had some of the most amazing trees. I'm told the forest was computer generated, which is a bit disappointing, but I still found it inspiring and would love to create bonsai based on some of them.

At the time I saw it I searched online for photos of those trees, but couldn't find much of use. I should really try again, but if I don't find what I want I may have to buy a copy of the movie.

Saw this one a few months back, really enjoyed it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203540/

I like the sound of that. Hope I can get hold of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks zigs :) Buying from Amazon isn't really an option in South Africa because the postage is too expensive but I'll try one of our local sites. The trouble is our post office seems to be constantly on strike or threatening a strike, so I always put off ordering the things I want. There are a couple of gardening books I've been wanting for months but I'm too scared to order them in case they never arrive :mad:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered about that.

Always worth having a look on youtube, it might appear there one day. Lots of full movies on there now, it helps to know the name of what you are looking for though, if you just search for full movies you have to wade through loads of Bollywood films.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
My internet connection is too slow to watch full movies online. I'm tempted to try that "Secret Life of Plants" one above, but not too hopeful that I'll get through it.

Reaction score
I definitely think "A Bug's Life" is a garden movie, and a great one at that.

Thanks for the trailer, zigs.

Ask a Question