Do You Have Any Favorite Gardening Related Books?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I love to read but generally find gardening books more boring than informative. Guess I am more of a hands on type of person. That said I just read a book I just wanted to share. Do you have any garden related books that you have enjoyed and would like to share too?

The book I just finished is The Seed Underground: A Growing Revolution to Save Food by Jannise Ray. If you love a good read, gardening and save a few of your favorite seeds you can not miss this book. I throughly enjoyed her writing. It was uplifting in a time when we are loosing much. It was a travel through her memories with hers and others personal stories of seeds. It also has a little history, current affairs and how they are related to seed saving, gardening and our food sources.

Here is a little excerpt from the book kind of gives you a hint as the author shares how seed savers throughout the communities shared their personal stories and reasons for saving seeds. Unfortunately seed saving has become a political as well as gardening issue in the last decade.

"Gardeners, especially seed savers, are preserving names, stories, heritage, place, cuisine. Their aim is to retain the “culture” in “agriculture,” rather than stripping it away, scientifically reducing it to mere germplasm. Gardeners want to regenerate seeds as often as possible, because seeds mean food and because gardeners often welcome adaptations. " "What I realized, for myself, is that I don’t have to grow a seed just because it has unique genetics. What I grow also has to produce and thrive." I guess this a philosophy similar to my own. Ray's insights, interviews and storytelling made an interesting read.

Any good reads you would share?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Can't say as I've ever read a garden book in story form, or for that matter known there was such types of books. All mine are reference books, that since the internet get very little to no use at all anymore.

Reaction score
I haven't read any gardening related book yet, but I have read quite a lot gardening magazines :) I'd not dare to say I have a favorite tho. b I might grab a couple books on gardening in the future tho, specially now that I plan on growing edibles once I head to my permanent destination, hehehe.

Ask a Question