Do you use or have used the rooting hormone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks a lot for the tip! I remember my granmother used to put some aspirins on the soil of her plants, but I never understood why! To be honest I still don't know why she did that, but it's good to know that aspirins are also good for plants ;)

By the way... I had no idea that aspirin could be used as a good alternative to the rooting hormone. I can't believe how much I'm learning over here :D I'll also check the inverted soda bottle method you mentioned. I had heard about it, but I never felt that interested to find out how it worked.

Aspirin is supposed to help plants root because it's made from willow, which is a natural rooting hormone. Willow branches are one of the easiest plants to root as cuttings. I was once given a branch about an inch thick. I put it in a glass of water and within a week it was sprouting roots everywhere. I foolishly gave the tree away because I'm short of space and I thought it was ugly, but I've got a thinner one grown from a cutting which is thriving in a pot in my backyard. I need to reduce the height, so I will be rooting the top half shortly.

As a matter of interest for those interested in home remedies, I just came across this article about making your own aspirin from willow. I doubt I'd ever be brave enough to try it though.

Reaction score
Aspirin is supposed to help plants root because it's made from willow, which is a natural rooting hormone. Willow branches are one of the easiest plants to root as cuttings. I was once given a branch about an inch thick. I put it in a glass of water and within a week it was sprouting roots everywhere. I foolishly gave the tree away because I'm short of space and I thought it was ugly, but I've got a thinner one grown from a cutting which is thriving in a pot in my backyard. I need to reduce the height, so I will be rooting the top half shortly.

As a matter of interest for those interested in home remedies, I just came across this article about making your own aspirin from willow. I doubt I'd ever be brave enough to try it though.

Thanks Gina :) Your answer was really helpful and helped me to solve all the doubts I had on the role of aspirin serving as a rooting hormone. I had no idea aspirings were actually made of willow! I did know that willows branches are one of the easiest plants to root, but I never thought this could help other plants to root. I think I need to read a little bit more! This forum is amazing... I'm learning so much!

By the way... why do think that my granma used to add aspirins to the soil of her adult plants? Is there a purpose for that, or she was just mistaken?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I've never heard of anyone using aspirins that way before, so I really don't know why she did it. It might be worth doing some research on that.

Reaction score
Is rooting hormone toxic? Those warnings about keeping it away from skin and pregnant women are kind of scary. I've used it, but not on any edible plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I've heard things about the dangers of rooting hormones too, so I always handle it with caution and wash my hands as soon as I've finished using it. However I very much doubt that it would make the fruit that grows on edible plants toxic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had no idea about the warnings:eek: It's scary. I'll definitely try cinnamon or aspirin first before I buy a rooting hormone. It's always better to look for natural solutions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I also try to keep things natural where possible and I'm lucky that my favorite trees - ficuses - root easily without rooting hormone or a substitute. Or maybe I'm not so lucky, because I've got far too many of them and although I give some away on my bonsai club's raffle table, I find it difficult to part with my babies.

I had a recipe for making your own rooting solution by boiling branches from a willow tree, but I've never tried it. Now I'm not even sure where I put the recipe. I'll have to try it sometime. I won't be able to make very much though because I've only got a tiny willow tree in a pot and I usually plant the cuttings anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I manager to root a few miniature rose cuttings without using any rooting hormones nor anthing like it, so yes, it's possible. Actually, in my case it was more than easy, all that I had to do was to put the cuttings into the soil and water it regularly. I don't have any luck with regular roses though:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I've never had any success rooting roses, but I've never tried very hard either. However someone I know once received a bunch of roses and two of them grew roots in the vase. She was thrilled to get two new rose bushes without even trying.

Some plants just seem to want to grow so badly that nothing will stop them. I've got avocado and mango seedlings that I had no intention of planting, but the pips had already formed roots while they were inside the fruit, so I couldn't deny them the right to live.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
have had no issues using it. Successfully made two Calacarpia's from mom plant, they are thriving well these past 5 years. Always use gloves. you really do not need to use much. I just dip the stem right in the bottle and right in the little soil hole I have made and pack it in, then move on. not a big deal.

Ask a Question