Do you use or have used the rooting hormone?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering what you guys think about using the rooting hormone? Do you think this hormone can affect other things (apart from the obvious) such as: color of the plant and leaf shape? Have you used this hormone in the past? Were you pleased?

Reaction score
I've used rooting hormone a lot; generally I've been pleased with the results and I've never noticed much difference between the parent plant and the new ones from cuttings. At least you get a truer plant than you do from the seeds. I've heard you can make a natural rooting hormone from willows if you don't want to use a manmade chemical.

Reaction score
I've tried a rooting hormone called Takeroot for some ornamental plants. The advantage to me was that of saving money because instead of buying new plants, I just asked my neighbor for a couple of cuttings. I would never use Takeroot for anything edible like herbs because it's still a chemical and there's a warning on it for pregnant women not to use it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We use something called 'Root Grow' which is mycorrihizal funghi - it has made such a difference! Where we have used it the plants have got off to a great start, and apparently the effects last forever because the fungus grows with the plant. I'd definitely recommend it!

Reaction score
I have used both aspirin and rooting hormone. The results are the same. They ensure that your cuttings chances of becoming a living plant is higher, that is about it. I personally don't care too much as I have no problem with growing plants from cuttings. I think that using the inverted soda bottle method creating a fake green house is much more effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never used rooting hormone...but it sounds like a really good idea. Yesterday, I had to throw away another cutting because instead of rooting, it started to rot. It made me very sad. The cutting was from a cut rose that my boyfriend gave me and it would be so romantic to grow it.
So I definitely need to buy rooting hormone. Is it expensive?

Reaction score
I have they work great with cactus and succulents. But since I went organic I started using cinnamon as a anti-fungal.. Martha Stewart says it works the same way.:D

Reaction score
Ref. rooting hormone, if it's the same stuff we used to call it rooting powder in the UK. Started using it when I used to take cuttings of plants to try to bring on. Had some mixed results but that may well have been me rather than the powder not doing it's job.

Reaction score
I've used rooting hormone a lot; generally I've been pleased with the results and I've never noticed much difference between the parent plant and the new ones from cuttings. At least you get a truer plant than you do from the seeds. I've heard you can make a natural rooting hormone from willows if you don't want to use a manmade chemical.

Wow really? Do you have the link to that? I think it would be really interesting to be able to create my own rooting hormone! I feel totally intrigued now, I hope you can let us know how we can do this or recommend us a good web site that explains the procedure :)

Reaction score
I have they work great with cactus and succulents. But since I went organic I started using cinnamon as a anti-fungal.. Martha Stewart says it works the same way.:D

Wow, really? How do you use the cinnamon? Mind telling me? I'd like to go organic as well, to be honest I don't feel very comfortable using artificial rooting hormones for my cuttings. I really need a good alternative for my herbs... I don't like the idea of using a rooting hormone on herb cuttings (because the artificial part) :(

Reaction score
I have used both aspirin and rooting hormone. The results are the same. They ensure that your cuttings chances of becoming a living plant is higher, that is about it. I personally don't care too much as I have no problem with growing plants from cuttings. I think that using the inverted soda bottle method creating a fake green house is much more effective.

Thanks a lot for the tip! I remember my granmother used to put some aspirins on the soil of her plants, but I never understood why! To be honest I still don't know why she did that, but it's good to know that aspirins are also good for plants ;)

By the way... I had no idea that aspirin could be used as a good alternative to the rooting hormone. I can't believe how much I'm learning over here :D I'll also check the inverted soda bottle method you mentioned. I had heard about it, but I never felt that interested to find out how it worked.

Reaction score
We use something called 'Root Grow' which is mycorrihizal funghi - it has made such a difference! Where we have used it the plants have got off to a great start, and apparently the effects last forever because the fungus grows with the plant. I'd definitely recommend it!

Thanks a lot :) I'll check it out! To be honest this is the first time I ever hear about it! Can this be used on herb cuttings? I ask because I'm trying to propagate several herbs right now, I'm planning to use those herbs for cooking and preparing tea.

Reaction score
I've never used rooting hormone...but it sounds like a really good idea. Yesterday, I had to throw away another cutting because instead of rooting, it started to rot. It made me very sad. The cutting was from a cut rose that my boyfriend gave me and it would be so romantic to grow it.
So I definitely need to buy rooting hormone. Is it expensive?

No, it's not expensive at asll :) It all depends on the brand you pick, I guess. There are also several natural alternatives you can use instead of using the chemical rooting hormone. Some posters mentioned that cinnamon and aspirin had the same effect as the rooting hormone :) I haven't tried this, but I'll definitely go for it next time I've a fresh cutting in my hands :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for your response. Are some brands better than others or maybe they're all pretty much the same? For now, I think that I'll try cinnamon, but if it doesn't work, I'll definitely buy a rooting hormone:)

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Are some brands better than others or maybe they're all pretty much the same? For now, I think that I'll try cinnamon, but if it doesn't work, I'll definitely buy a rooting hormone:)

You're very welcome! Using cinnamon would be a great way to start :) If the cinnamon doesn't help the cuttings to grow some roots, at least it won't hurt them either :D

Ask a Question