Any home plants that can be used to repel mosquitoes?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I am the type to get bitten a lot, even when I am at home. Any plant that I can just place in my home that would act as a natural mosquito repellent? I can't purchase chemical ones because I have two cats at home, and I don't want to inconvenience them because the mosquitoes are out to get me. What do you guys think? Do you guys have a solution for this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I do know that basil repels mosquitoes, and I don't believe they are toxic to cats. All types of basil work but Lemon basil, Cinnamon basil and Peruvian basil work best because they have the strongest scent, they also freshen up the smell of your home!
You can also eat it, which is always a plus :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As someone who has lived in a mosquito-heavy area since 1999, my assessment (and I have tried many "natural" attempts) is that, basically, nothing except a: management and b: Deet, works.

All those "mosquito-repelling" plants? Do. Not. Work. I challenge anyone to provide an impartial, peer-reviewed cite for garlic or marigolds or lavender or whatever :rolleyes: that actually works. Bet you can't! Same for citronella candles. Smell pretty. But absolutely ineffective. Northern US Midwest? Our skeeters love scented candles and marigolds and other such sissy nonsense. :D

If simple things such as flowers and candles worked, why are mosquito-born diseases still so deadly and pandemic world-wide? Well duh, because marigolds and pretty smelling essential oils and candles are ineffective. Otherwise they would have been patented. Duh. :rolleyes:

Did I mention, Deet is nasty, but it really works?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
:eek: Mosquitoes do have a preferred "flavor" of human. There's about 20% of the population that the little buggers just can't resist. I am one of those, and I agree with Beth_B, spray yourself down for going outside, and try not to pet the cats 'til you've washed it off.

That said, if you really want to try a plant, I'd try catnip. At the website posted below, you'll find a study saying:

"the essential oil in catnip that gives the plant its characteristic odor is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm

If nothing else, the cats will be happy! ;)

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
just because a plant says "insect repelling" doesn't necessarily mean mosquitoes... plants can only repel certain insects... their essential oils are created to help protect the plant and one of these jobs is repelling harmful insects that are harmful to the plant.... the plant doesn't care about mosquitoes because ... well... for obvious reasons.... they want to repel bugs that eat them... not us.

I make herbal insect sprays and powders and have to use a range of herbs and essential oils to cover different insects.... the only thing I can find that comes pretty close to deterring mosquitoes is pure cat nip essential oil (the safest one) ... citronella essential oil and pennyroyal essential oil.... however, pennyroyal eo is very strong and toxic so not ever to be used where it can be ingested so do not use around pets.... however, the dried herb of pennyroyal can be used around dogs... mix with cedar shavings, it can be used in pillows to deter fleas, etc...

my mosquito sprays involve quite a blend of cedarwood, pennyroyal water (not the essential oil), citronella, catnip, and lavender ... the plants set into your gardens alone will not do much to deter hungry mosquitoes. ...it's not enough essential oils being released into the air.

if you use essential oils, you must learn how to use them properly and at what dilution rates... each one is different and many are not safe around small children or pregnant women....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Plant vendors here always have citronella, a grass-like plant that looks like lemon grass. It has a mint odor that repels mosquitoes, according to the vendor. I still haven't tried it yet because we have lemon grass and citronella might be mistaken. We use lemon grass for cooking as we consider it an herb that eradicates cholesterol. As with the citronella, it can be grown even in black plastic pots, easy to grow when given enough water. It can stay indoors and put out for sunning one day a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have in the past had problems with mosquitoes enough that we would never think of eating or sitting on our back yard after the sun begins to set. This year we tried something very different and it has worked for us. I planted 2 hanging baskets of catnip, 4 good size pots of lemon grass, 2 nice size pots of lavender placed around our patio. Some may say the mosquitoes just didn't come this year who knows we have lived in our house for 22 years and every year it has been worse than the year before until this year. As someone said above certain people attract mosquitoes more than others. Very seldom do I get bit however they come from miles to feast on my husband. No proof just our experience.

BTW all of these plants are non toxic to our dogs

Reaction score
Country
United States
yeah, I am not sure any plant really is a repellent like that. At best the plant probably keeps the mosquitos from landing on the actual plant, but I think it is very unlikely you can just put a plant in a room and think the plant will protect that entire room.

The bigger issue is standing water, you have to be really careful not to allow any water more than an inch deep to sit still for any amount of time. Mosquitoes may not be able to reproduce in it, but they do not know that. I make this mistake in my own house, leaving a glass of water near the sink.. mosquitoes can detect water from a long way away.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
We have in the past had problems with mosquitoes enough that we would never think of eating or sitting on our back yard after the sun begins to set. This year we tried something very different and it has worked for us. I planted 2 hanging baskets of catnip, 4 good size pots of lemon grass, 2 nice size pots of lavender placed around our patio. Some may say the mosquitoes just didn't come this year who knows we have lived in our house for 22 years and every year it has been worse than the year before until this year. As someone said above certain people attract mosquitoes more than others. Very seldom do I get bit however they come from miles to feast on my husband. No proof just our experience.

BTW all of these plants are non toxic to our dogs
Different strokes for different folks! Probably the area where you are living, those breeds of mosquitoes can't handle the scent of the herbs. Just the same way we have herbs that cures various types of cancers yet it may work for some and not for others. It's good that you found something that works for you. All the best!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've tried citronella plants and didn't find them to be effective at all. A friend of mine is really into essential oils and had an essential oil blend she recommended - I still got bitten! So I don't think much really works in repelling them apart from the chemical stuff, sadly!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't have any suggestions but I do like the idea of the lavender and lemon grass planted on the deck to help repel the pest.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I come from the tropics where the problem of mosquitoes is prevalent. One effective plant to repel mosquitoes is the venus flytrap which has the ability to capture the insects and feed on them though this is not a repellent action. Through deduction, any insect repellent plant like neem should be able to do the job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I tried everything and nothing worked. Mosquitoes in my area are very daring. A plant wouldn't scare them:confused: The only thing that can stop them is a mosquito net:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure about what herb would repel mosquitoes, but I do know that they don't like listermint. Yes, the gargle mouthwash that you use after you brush your teeth. The mosquitoes hate the smell of it and just disappear. If you put some in a spray bottle and you can even dilute it with a little water, spray it around the edges of the windows and the ground. You will soon see them disappear as they hate the smell. I don't even think it kills them, they just fly away.

Reaction score
Local vendors here sell citronella grass and promote them as mosquito-repellent I read, however, that citronella plant as is could not keep mosquito away. It has to be processed into an essential oil before it can be of any use. There are a variety of citronella-based products that have sprouted here, including sprays and patches, but I doubt if they are effective at all. Mosquito patches have limited scope and I certainly would look weird if I use it around my body.I apply mosquito-repellent lotion on my skin but sometimes, even that would not deter those pesky insects! I wish there really is a plant that can drive them away.

Ask a Question