Has anyone used or own a battery powered tiller/cultivator?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am thinking I may want to buy a battery powered tiller, but I'm not sure if it is going to do the job. If you have used or own a battery powered tiller/cultivator I would love to hear from you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can't see the battery lasting very long if you are tilling in anything more than a good composted area. I recently bought a battery powered leaf blower for light work. After one day using it, it went right back to where I bought it. Ten minutes tops is what I got outta one battery. As Esther said above, if you only use it one time a year, just rent one and be done with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Most of the tillers are cord operated. I saw only one that was battery operated out of five reviewed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey folks. It's been quite a while. I see Mantis has now got a battery-powered tiller. It must be pretty new; no reviews yet. I have not yet purchased one. I was really waiting to see how these tillers perform. What do you guys think?
https://mantis.com/product/mantis-58v-cordless-tiller-cultivator-3558/
Mantis-Cordless-58V-Tiller.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I bought an electric rototiller that is plug in 13 amp, about 2 HP which is the max and
is marginal. You need from 3.5 to 5 HP and 110 volts cannot supply this. I only used it a bit so far and it worked fine. On a relatively small area it would be acceptable. My neighbor has all battery garden units and is happy. (A small area). He has two batteries. The same type of battery is used in all his units.

The new fixers of small engines cannot repair most ,and to get gasoline engines repaired is a thing of the past. Modern carburetors are not repairable on small engines and most garden tools are now under powered. Rated in C.C. which means nothing. Most made in China now.

I always considered Mantis junk, but none of the small units work well. Honda can't make an engine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was reading reviews on Mantis and people love them. I've seen a lot of positive things. This little thing looks interesting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Mantis is too light. Honda is better, but one can't keep the engine running. I have used both.

Mantis tangs are in two welded pieces and difficult to clear when the tangs get wrapped in vegetation. Honda is four pieces and removable and simple to clean. Honda is also a little heavier and doesn't bounce around like the over priced Mantis.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a plug powered rototiller - I forget the brand. Haven't used it yet, but it was well reviewed for light work. Most of my tilling is going to get done by minowase daikon radishes next fall, though. They grow very deep roots even in compacted soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

29 April 2020 Garden Beds (Electric Rototiller)​

Posted on 04/29/2020 by Durgan
http://durgan.org//2020/April 2020/29 April 2020 Garden Beds/HTML/ 29 April 2020 Garden Beds
Using a elecric rototiller to work my garden bed. This replaces gasoline driven rototillers. The electric unit works very well. No more miserable starting issues. The area is around 2000 square feet in several beds. I am very pleased with this unit.
dsc_4024_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have not used a battery powered tiller. I use my grandfather's gas powered plow.

Ask a Question