I used to hate the thought of gardening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At school, I would never ever thought I would be interested in gardening

Now in my old age... I really want to plant things and nurture and see hings grow!

All my questions will be complete newbie inexperienced ones. Hope that's OK!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @enginestar !

Yes, start with the easiest of seeds - cress, rockets and feed yourself in the process. Look around at your neighbours' gardens. If plants do well in their garden, they will thrive in yours too. Don't go for the cheapest and work out the final height, and girth of the plants so that you don't want to move them in the future.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know if you have the equivalent of Master Gardeners in your country. They usually have a booth at a lot of local garden shows in the US. They are there to give free advice and answer questions. I also use the Co op Extension offices for free valuable information. This may be something we only have here in the states as well. Hopefully you have some type of resource like that. If not, ask a gardening neighbor. We all love to share. Best of luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Enginestar, you have found the best source of information, advice, and support here on the Gardening Forums. I've gardened for 40 years, and am still learning from fellow members. Welcome! And welcome to the fascinating and occasionally frustrating world of gardening.
Please tell us where you are in the UK and your growing zone, so when we see a post from you, we can look at your avatar and see if our advice/suggestions would be helpful.
We love "newbies" because we don't have to convince them that old gardeners' tales they've heard aren't necessarily true, and that there really has been some progress made in horticulture! Please post any questions you have--inexperienced gardener's questions are more than OK, they are what this forum is all about!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
At school, I would never ever thought I would be interested in gardening

I grew up hating the thought of gardening as well. Not only did it never interest me, but the garden industry was also associated with the usage of dangerous chemicals and water-wasting. It still is, but many people are starting to come around and do better. One thing I didn't know as a kid is that it's also associated with the spread of invasive species around the world. Gardening has a dark past, but I'm optimistic that the future will be brighter than ever!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great to have you here! Welcome aboard :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the group and happy gardening!
smgrowflo.gif

Ask a Question