Do you find gardening therapeutic?

Reaction score
I think the combination of getting some fresh air, and the satisfaction of successfully growing flowers and plants has a good therapeutic effect on my life. Seeing all the beautiful colours and absorbing the smells is delightful. What are your thoughts on this?

Reaction score
I absolutely agree! I call it "digging in the dirt" and it doesn't matter how sweaty and dirty I get it always puts a smile on my face and soothes my spirit! From turning the soil to planting something to nurturing to watching as it grows and develops...every stage brings me joy and peace! That it can also be productive regarding food consumption is a plus for me!

Jed

Reaction score
Totally. The satisfaction of seeing things grow after some physical effort is definitely a joy. It's something we can make our own decisions and if they go wrong we can try it again or totally change directions. Usually we have no one to be answerable to. Happiness is definitely somewhere in a garden.:)

Reaction score
I think it is definitely therapeutic to be outdoors caring for your plants. It's very calming, except when I find pests eating my plants. :mad:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Physiotherapeutic, for me.
I originally took up gardening as a hobby, rather than a chore, when I had to leave paid employment to become my disabled wife's carer.
My work had always involved a manual component, (often very heavy) and I needed a passtime which would give me some exercise, but would allow me to be close by if she needs me.

I get far more from it than that though.
There's the pleasure of beautiful flowers, the eating of tasty, wholesome food untouched by pesticides etc.
There's the smile on my elderly neighbour's face when I give her a spare marrow, or a few sticks of rhubarb.
There's watching the bees coming and going, searching for the perfect flower to deliver their sweet treat, before heading off to deposit it at home, and start again.
There's sitting in my greenhouse at 5am on a chilly spring morning, with my first cuppa of the day, and no sound other than birdsong.
There's plums so sweet that a supermarket wouldn't know what to do with them.
Tomatoes, soft but firm, with a full flavour, picked ripe from the vine, and no relation to the red waterchestnuts on sale at tesco.
There's that hushed pop that comes from a peapod bursting open to reveal its juicy contents.
Chilli plants; so beautiful in flower, and the hot, fruity spice so delicious.
The greenery: it filters and purifies the air for us.

Thank you so much, my garden, for giving me all this and more.

Reaction score
I think it is definitely therapeutic to be outdoors caring for your plants. It's very calming, except when I find pests eating my plants. :mad:

I'm with you on this one ACSAPA! I transplanted two volunteer locust trees on Saturday....by Sunday one of them had been snipped clean off! I'm not sure if I should be angry with the rabbits or woodchucks but oh, it makes me angry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gardening always makes me happy. Whenever I'm too stressed, I go to my roses, I prune them, water them or I simply look at them and I instantly feel so much better. Gardening is very relaxing.

Jed

Reaction score
headfullofbees that is certainly quite a lovely description of the benefit of your gardening efforts. :)

Reaction score
Oh yes! If your working in the garden all you think about is the garden:rolleyes: Great stress reliever!

Reaction score
Oh yes! If your working in the garden all you think about is the garden:rolleyes: Great stress reliever!

I agree! Thank you for all the replies. It's lovely to know so many people can forget their worries while tending to the garden! We can call the garden our sanctuary :)

Reaction score
It's the best therapy for me, sunshine and flowers. I enjoy the veggies, the scent of herbs and flowers and the chirping of the birds.

Reaction score
LOL...I just went outside for a bit to check on the volunteer zucchini growing in an old compost spot. (sadly, it won't bear fruit, since it's a loner. :() and got side tracked by weeding. We've had a lot of rain in the last few days and the ground is so soft, the weeds pull so easily! I can't help myself, even though I had other things to do. My Mom used to pick on me for this! We'd be sitting on the deck, relaxing and I'd see ONE weed that needed pulling and then I couldn't stop. I'd shrug my shoulders and say "It's a sickness."

Reaction score
It is definitely a therapeutic experience. I love anything to do with nature and just sitting there planting, thinking and concentrating is a form of therapy to me. Gardening is definitely something you have to concentrate on you can not have too many distractions because you can do something wrong.

Ask a Question