Do you find gardening therapeutic?

Reaction score
I think any hobbies that you enjoy doing have therapeutic benefits! If you love to do something and it relaxes you and simulates your brain, then there must be a lot of emotional, mental, and physical benefits involved. The fact that a lot of gardening is done outside involving fresh air is just a plus!

Reaction score
It is for me, not as relaxing as cooking, I must admit, but it gets pretty close to it! I used to be a really avid gardener some years ago, those years were the most relaxed and peaceful ones I can remember! I just with I could go back, because right now everything seems so chaotic in my life :( Taking care of my plants does make me feel better nowadays tho :) Specially when I get to spend some time with them outside; watering them or taking pictures of them...

Reaction score
Gardening is therapeutic. It helps you to relax, seeing your works gives an overwhelming feeling. My father after retiring from his work, he keeps himself busy with his garden. He said it fights boredom. It is also his way of exercise.

Reaction score
I LOVE to garden. I just spent the last couple of days digging my garden by hand with a shovel. I am sore and sunburnt and tired but it looks amazing. I listened to a book I had downloaded onto my phone and just spent my weekend in my garden. My chickens were eating worms and digging too. It was perfect. It is already to plant and ready for spring. I work in an office with no window. It drives me crazy to be cooped up like that and there is no better relief than to be home outside and working in my garden.

Reaction score
Gardening is a very therapeutic activity. I have experienced the healing property of gardening at a very personal level.

The birds chirping and squirrels running about create a sense of inner peace that is priceless. Also, the fact that one is making the world a calmer and greener place, and nurturing nature in a very tender way, creates happiness.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gardening to me is my way of getting close to God. It helps to center my thoughts so that I can get to where I need to be instead of having my thoughts running all over the place. Time pulling weeds or planting and caring for my plants is better than going to sit on the couch and talk to some one about what bugs me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I find gardening to be very relaxing, I can go out and start digging around or pulling weeds, or whatever and it seems that the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders. I also love watching my plants grow. There is nothing more satisfying that watching the new life that I have helped grow.

Reaction score
Gardening to me is my way of getting close to God. It helps to center my thoughts so that I can get to where I need to be instead of having my thoughts running all over the place. Time pulling weeds or planting and caring for my plants is better than going to sit on the couch and talk to some one about what bugs me.

Same here! When I gardened I was feeling so much peace and the thoughts disappeared for a while. I think it's all about the focus you put on this activity, but at the same time the simplicity of most tasks that involve gardening. It's a very unique mix!

Reaction score
I do not have an outdoor garden but, I have several plants and will be starting an indoor herb garden soon. I absolutely love taking care of my plants, I love the look and the smell of plants and growing things. I cant wait to start my herb garden. I find it very satisfying and relaxing taking care of my plants. :)

Reaction score
Gardening is very satisfying! I come from a long line of farmers and when I am out there tending my garden, I feel a closer kinship with my ancestors. There is just something gratifying about eating vegetables that you have planted and harvested. You've nutured and tended to the plants from seed to vegetable and you get to reap the benefits.

Reaction score
When I was in my 30's gardening was very therapeutic. I would get up every morning before everyone else and take my cup of coffee outside and work on the garden and then I would relax a bit on the porch and enjoy the work that I had done.

These days it seems that I kill more than I am successful at growing. I am very discouraged at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
When I was in my 30's gardening was very therapeutic. I would get up every morning before everyone else and take my cup of coffee outside and work on the garden and then I would relax a bit on the porch and enjoy the work that I had done.

These days it seems that I kill more than I am successful at growing. I am very discouraged at the moment.
Although we all have seasons that it appears that we have lost our green thumbs, take heart in knowing that the joy will return.

Ask a Question