Do worm bins have any odor ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello ,
It is simply to hot and humid here in S.Florida for an outside worm bin even under the gazebo its to hot for worms .

I was thinking of an indoor worm bin in my fish tank room which is kept at 78 degrees with African worms but concerned about the odor .

I have purchased worm compost / castings and loved it but like most here I enjoy doing it myself so wanted to give this a try .

Anyone raise worms inside , any odor ?

Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is going to directly related to what they are fed. Our bin is outside so whatever is okay.
That is going to directly related to what they are fed. Our bin is outside so whatever is okay.

Thanks . Have you had trouble due to the heat ?

I would prefer to keep them outside when I set it up but the heat here is pretty hot about 6 to 7 months a year . I am looking at African worms .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks . Have you had trouble due to the heat ?

I would prefer to keep them outside when I set it up but the heat here is pretty hot about 6 to 7 months a year . I am looking at African worms .
Cold is our issue, yet they come back annually. Pay attention to the negative aspects associated with a species. Not familiar with the ones you named.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cold is our issue, yet they come back annually. Pay attention to the negative aspects associated with a species. Not familiar with the ones you named.

'' Pay attention to the negative aspects associated with a species.''

Never occurred to me but now going to research that .

Would have never thought cold would be the problem by you. Again thanks .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
'' Pay attention to the negative aspects associated with a species.''

Never occurred to me but now going to research that .

Would have never thought cold would be the problem by you. Again thanks .
One would think that this worm was great here in Alabama. Not true. I never bought any, but actually considered buying some until I read the backstory. And we are south border transition zone so we get occasional snow and and occasional tropical level heat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks a lot just clicked on composting worms and found them .

Great site , going to read it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Got into it sort of by accident. Being a fisherman and night crawlers hard to find mid summer so had to buy them and they were not very tough crawlers.

this is way back in the mid 1960 so no internet but the library in town had plenty of books on red worms and crawlers for fishing and composting.

Bought a big stryfoam cooler filled it with damp shredded newspaper and after a good spring rain went out and picked hundreds of crawlers off drive way and the road(gravel) near the house.

Lived in Northern Michigan so knew they would not live thru the winter so they were kept in the basement.were fed food scraps and corn meal. When spring came they had mated in the box and were way over crouded so bought a couple more coolers.
Still had more than we could use so started selling them. they were way tougher than what the local bait shop sold too so we had a steady stream of buyers.

On our summer fishing trips to Canada we filled a smaller cooler with about 500 crawlers and laid a inch of wet news paper over them and they would live for a week if not used.

Got a job in the city and moved and didn't have the time to sell crawlers so switched to red worms for compoisting our kitchen scraps under the kitchen sink.

Yes they multply also faster than we can use up fishing. Simple soulation is to deposit them in the veggie garden and flower beds.

Been working for us now for nearly 50 years and I have never noticed any stink. Being close at hand no kitchen scraps fail to not be given to the worms.

Link to basics.

I strongly suggest RED WORMS for compoisting.

:D Al

Reaction score
Country
United States
" I strongly suggest RED WORMS for compoisting ""

Thanks this seems to be the general consensus but my fish room where I am going to keep them is warm like high 70s to low 80s all year round so African worms seem to be the only real option.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
From what my parents told me worms do have a slight bit of odour up close but nothing so pungent as to clear a room due to smell.

Ask a Question