How do you treat Yellow striped army worms.

Bluesamurai

Interested in plants
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okay, so I go to a Tech school where we have a greenhouse. We left it over the summer, and yellow striped army worms took over. They have gotten pretty big; and my teacher is at a loss of what to do. Is there a way to get rid of them? Because of a new district rule we cannot use chemicals in the greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay, so I go to a Tech school where we have a greenhouse. We left it over the summer, and yellow striped army worms took over. They have gotten pretty big; and my teacher is at a loss of what to do. Is there a way to get rid of them? Because of a new district rule we cannot use chemicals in the greenhouse.
Bt, (Bacillus thuringensis) is death on caterpillars. It is organic and totally safe for humans and pets. It's distilled from a soil bacteria. Spray it thoroughly all over the plants and within 4 - 6 hours they are dead. Any real nursery will have some brand with Bt as it's active ingredient.

Bluesamurai

Interested in plants
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bt, (Bacillus thuringensis) is death on caterpillars. It is organic and totally safe for humans and pets. It's distilled from a soil bacteria. Spray it thoroughly all over the plants and within 4 - 6 hours they are dead. Any real nursery will have some brand with Bt as it's active ingredient.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you can't find Bt, get some praying mantis egg cases from an organic gardening website. Praying mantises eat everything. Everything. They love a slow-moving, abundant meal like army worms, too.

Ask a Question