worm bins in winter

Reaction score
I just started a worm bin last spring and I love it. I live in the city and have limited space for compost. I would like to know what other gardeners do with their bins in winter, especially since we had the polar vortex last year. Should I bring it into my basement or would it be OK outside? If I leave it outside should there be any special way to shelter it? Thanks!

Reaction score
I just started a worm bin last spring and I love it. I live in the city and have limited space for compost. I would like to know what other gardeners do with their bins in winter, especially since we had the polar vortex last year. Should I bring it into my basement or would it be OK outside? If I leave it outside should there be any special way to shelter it? Thanks!

I have a worm bin that I keep all year round, not just in the winter. I raise red worms and use their "juice" and "soil" for my indoor garden. It's probably the richest, most nutrient-dense soil I've ever come across. I don't know much about worms - just the basics. I do know that your worms cannot thrive unless they live in temperatures 60 degrees or higher. The best breeding and hatching temperatures are between 60 degrees and 80 degrees. Your worms will die at freezing temperatures, so if you don't have the space in your home for them, choose carefully where you place them instead, such as the garage or basement. As long as those areas are 60 degrees or higher in winter, your worms will be fine. If the temperatures remain in the 60's, don't expect too much worm reproduction. As for my worms, I keep them in a bucket system. I have three layers of buckets stacked up, each one (except the bottom one) has holes drilled into the base so that the entire area is aerated and also, so that the worms can travel from one level to the next and fill each bucket with fresh "soil." It's supposed to be the easiest, laziest way of keeping worms, plus, the buckets stack high and take up very little space (about as much as a stand-up vacuum). I have 200+ worms right now and a full bucket of soil already. They eat only organic fruits and vegetables, and you should see them when I let them have coffee grounds! They love it! Anyway, I hope that was somewhat helpful.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A worm bin would be fun to have. I would put it in a clear container so that my kids could watch the worms at work. I would be to nervous to keep one indoors though as I would be fearful of them escaping!

Reaction score
I had a worm bin in my apartment when I lived in Chicago. I used a tote that I drilled holes in. I like the bucket idea much better though. I didn't want to bring the worms into the apartment though because they were constantly crawling out the little holes. Next time I build one I will have to make smaller holes. I kept the bin in my basement storage area over the winter.

Reaction score
When I attempted to have a worm bin, I had no problem keeping the worms in, but the compost attracted gnats. I would put the fruit and vegetable scraps into the bin and cover it with a bit of soil, but the gnats were still a problem. Is there a secret to repelling these?

Reaction score
If it is fruit gnats then you need to either bury the fruit deeper or take them out until all the gnats are gone. I've tried ripping up newspaper and and putting a fairly thick layer on the top of the worm bin. Put all the fruit or other compost under the newspapers. This works sometimes. The newspaper will eventually break down too. Its best to use the newsprint that is black and white not the glossy or colored stuff.
It if is fungus gnats which are black. Then open the top of the worm bin a little so the top is dry.

Ask a Question