Deadly plants

Reaction score
Zigs - you are so right there, people did actually use Oleander as barbeque skewers. It is also advised not to burn Oleander either as the fumes are toxic.

There are two other plants that top the Poisonous Plant List and they are:

Poinsettia , which most people know as a pretty leafy plant that is very popular at Christmas time.
All parts of this plant are toxic and call kill pets if ingested.

The Calla or Arum Lily is also a highly toxic plant that can also kill pets if ingested. the root is considered to be the most toxic, but the whole of the flower is also poisonous.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Might sort out a sticky & disclaimer in the id section, there's a lot of poisonous stuff out there:eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I grew up in a farming community and have gardened for decades so find this fear of so called poisonous plants bewildering. Plants that have been in gardens for millennia have been labeled poisonous in the last few decades. I even found garlic on a poisonous list recently. But then it does give my husband indigestion:LOL: So maybe it is for some people

Having grown a lot of so called poisonous plants over the decades I keep seeing more and more plants on "beware poisonous" lists. I love foxgloves, columbine, delphiniums, poppies, calla lilies, tomatoes, potatoes (last two nightshade family so leaves are poisonous), philodendrons, ficus, dumb cane and I don't know how many dozens of others that are in my house and yard. Have always had pets and never had any problems. Our pets have never showed the least bit of interest in any poisonous plants, but I had to fence my veggie garden to keep our Doberman Pinchers from grazing the beans, peas, berries, and fruit trees. Three generations of dogs and not once did they bother the poisonous bird berry bushes/trees or any other plants that would make them ill. Wish I could say the same for the edibles. A Doberman on his hind legs can reach pretty high into a fruit tree.

As long as you don't eat poisonous plants, people shouldn't have a problem. When my son was young and I did daycare the children learned what was good to eat in the garden and what was only to look at. Infants are the only ones that put things in their mouths and no one would leave a child unsupervised.

People have been known to starve to death rather than break food taboos they learned from watching the adults when they were young. My daycare children knew to they could eat the blueberries, raspberries and strawberries or veggie garden crops. They learned some berry types were bird berries only, but were never interested. We had plenty of fruit bushes and trees to pick from.

Just because a plant is poisonous to eat doesn't mean you can't touch it. If that were true I'd have died or been sick with toxicity decades ago. The only exception to this statement is Monkshood also called aconite and is classed as an alkaloid toxin. Weeding this plant should be done with gloves and washing your hands immediately afterwards. I have never seen it for sale and I got my plants in trade a year ago. Beautiful blue flowers in the fall. Don't think I'd grow it if we had small children around.

Zigs, I can't believe you ate foxglove! Didn't you know digitalis was used for some heart disease, or did you just want to speed/slow things up? ;) You must have been too young to know better. Never knew anyone to try foxglove before so pardon my fascination. Maybe some funny mushrooms would have been safer.:whistle:

Reaction score
Jewell
I agree with very much of what you have said here, in that some people, take the beware of poisonous plants thing a touch too far, and I like you have gardened for many, many years and also come into contact with many of these plants on a regular basis, but I do feel that people need to be made aware of some of the dangers, we know to take the precaution of wearing gloves and washing our hands after tending these plants - only because we know what they are.

There are however some times when it is probably best not to have these plants around, such as when you have a young puppy or kitten or even a young child that is going through the stage of chewing on anything, they can get their hands or paws on and don't yet know these are things that they shouldn't do. If you have ever experienced the distressing sight of watching kittens or young cats die after they have mistakenly eaten these plants, particularly Poinsettias or Calla Lillies, then you would understand the importance of making people aware of these dangers, and let them make the right choices, for giving their pets and young children a safe environment to be in.

I do however agree with you, that the experience of eating a 'magic mushroom' or two, would be not only safer - but definitely much more enjoyable :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D Probably would be, won't be trying Foxgloves again:eek::D

Reaction score
I don't have any poisonous plants in my garden. I'm very careful about that. I wouldn't like to plant them here even if they were extremely beautiful - I'm just too scared of them. I have a little dog who is naughty and curious about everything. He is always hungry and sometimes eats random things. I don't think he would like to eat poisonous plant, but you can never be sure. I just don't want to take the risk.
Mine is the same way--I just can't risk a trip the the ER for the pup for ornamentals in the garden. If she was a careful pooch we wouldn't have a problem, but she really has no cares! :p

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
francescaple-dogwood.jpg

This is poke weed it is also poisonous. It is growing in my yard in several places. I had never seen this plant in the yard before. It has berries that may get spread around by the birds. This is something to look out for in your yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The poke weed looks quite pretty! I like the red stems. I wish it wasn't poisonous:( I'm pretty sure that I've never seen the plant in my area though, so it probably doesn't grow in my climate zone.

Ask a Question