Climate change is here

Reaction score
Country
France
Well it looks like this climate change really is here, And it gives all us gardeners time to think !!!!
Will it change our ways of buying plants/seeds now ? The summers have been hotter and rain a lot less, so what are we thinking of growing this year?
And whats your thoughts of what to do about the past lessons we should have learnt regarding what to do about the past situation ?

I myself have bought 5x 1000 Ltr ex fruit juice containers to use as water collection units, I am hoping when & if the dry summer arrives at least i will be able to use the collected water
for the veg patch,
But the hanging basket's and window box's will have a more geranium touch than the plants that need a lot of watering as grown in the past.

But only time will tell if we're really in for a full scale change for the future ???
This last summer really gave myself the best tomato crop i have had for a long time and as always they really tasted good,
Well lets hear what your thinking about this climate change & what you've done about the situation ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Moonraker, long time no see 😁

Yep, the climate has always changed and it's nice that it's warming up (a bit) since the little ice age of the late Victorian era :)

Tomatoes love a bit more CO2, that's why they grow them next to breweries so they can pump the gas in. They evolved when there was much more CO2 in the air than the current 0.04% :)

We get droughts in the South East of England so we've installed 4,000 litres of rainwater storage ( we need rainwater to water the cacti as tapwater is too full of chalk)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't doubt climate change is here, but as far as things to fear, it's way, way down on the list. Top of the list is a super volcano.

The reason I don't worry about AGW, is because so much of it is simply fear mongering. One of my favorite examples of this are the forest fires in California, which is always blamed on AGW. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I haven't changed one bit in my gardening due to the boiling of the planet, actually I wish the winters would get warmer, I'm sick of the sudden freezes that wipe out my seedlings.

Our drying land masses are overwhelmingly from mis-management, not AGW, here's just one example.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't doubt climate change is here, but as far as things to fear, it's way, way down on the list. Top of the list is a super volcano.

The reason I don't worry about AGW, is because so much of it is simply fear mongering. One of my favorite examples of this are the forest fires in California, which is always blamed on AGW. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I haven't changed one bit in my gardening due to the boiling of the planet, actually I wish the winters would get warmer, I'm sick of the sudden freezes that wipe out my seedlings.

Our drying land masses are overwhelmingly from mis-management, not AGW, here's just one example.

I couldn't agree more. What a wonderful video, and so lovely to see him teaching the children too. That is just the way it should be. It is criminal to see how afraid the youngsters are becoming today because of the lies being pushed on them about the world heating up. We do agree about the danger of your super volcano. We live in a fragile world, but are most certainly not the masters of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mr Carlin put it best, screw the planet, save yourself!

Humans are really full of themselves if they think they can control nature. Oh sure, we can make small changes in very localized places (heat islands)

But really we're just along for the ride.

Still, not a bad idea to be a good steward and clean up your garbage, minimize waste etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Climate change, formerly global cooling.....then global warming is what it always was.
A system to alarm enough people to the point they throw money at it just to feel better about themselves.
In 1971.....there were predictions of a new ice age...by 2020.
in 1978....they claimed there was no end in sight to a cooling trend.
In 1988....they claimed the US would have a drought.....because of warming temperatures.
In 1989....they claimed that many nations would be underwater by 2000.
ain 2004....they claimed that Britain would have Siberian climate by 2020.
In 2008.....Al Gore claimed that the Arctic circle would be ice-free by 2013. (my favorite)
And that is just a sample of the brilliance that has driven us to madness trying to save the planet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Volcanic activity certainly looks like the wild card. A supervolcano blowing would be a disaster for most of mankind, but there has been a lot of activity from smaller volcanoes recently, and a decent eruption in Italy or Iceland could change the weather right through the Northern hemisphere.
Politicians and conspiracy theorists are always referring to 'science' to back their claims, they should read Ben Goldacre's book 'Bad Science', what they are saying often has no basis at all in actual science.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like 15 days, 6 feet and wear a mask?
Our experience of wearing a quality mask is that they do work, The missus spent two years working with the public in a library before she retired, shwas meticulous about it, ate her lunch in the car etc. , but it paid,, neither of us has caught it to date.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well it looks like this climate change really is here, And it gives all us gardeners time to think !!!!
Will it change our ways of buying plants/seeds now ? The summers have been hotter and rain a lot less, so what are we thinking of growing this year?
And whats your thoughts of what to do about the past lessons we should have learnt regarding what to do about the past situation ?

I myself have bought 5x 1000 Ltr ex fruit juice containers to use as water collection units, I am hoping when & if the dry summer arrives at least i will be able to use the collected water
for the veg patch,
But the hanging basket's and window box's will have a more geranium touch than the plants that need a lot of watering as grown in the past.

But only time will tell if we're really in for a full scale change for the future ???
This last summer really gave myself the best tomato crop i have had for a long time and as always they really tasted good,
Well lets hear what your thinking about this climate change & what you've done about the situation ?
The oldest dna is 2 million years according to this report, and some interesting and relevant detail to your position is found in what they say was the climate 2 million years ago in Greenland.

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi DirtMechanic,
Good to talk to you,
Maybe what your saying is true, But one things for sure with all this ice melting, floods all over the world & hot summers in places that just did not have hot summers, you must agree we seem to be having changes we are not use to having,
And even the ocean's and fish / wales are beaching them selves on land they have never been known to visit,
Sharks swimming in the river THAMES UK ????
I feel somethings going on and i am not sure what:alien:
:alien::alien:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There's always been sharks swimming in UK waters, ask any sea angler :rolleyes:

Wasn't a very hot summer here last year, was in 1976 though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi DirtMechanic,
Good to talk to you,
Maybe what your saying is true, But one things for sure with all this ice melting, floods all over the world & hot summers in places that just did not have hot summers, you must agree we seem to be having changes we are not use to having,
And even the ocean's and fish / wales are beaching them selves on land they have never been known to visit,
Sharks swimming in the river THAMES UK ????
I feel somethings going on and i am not sure what:alien:
:alien::alien:
Well I wont speak for the high level scientist in that BBC report but I assure you we are on a corkscrew spiral through space in a round car that another rational group of people said we began measuring at one of the coldest moments in the whole timeline. The only constant is change. The mathmaticians have a name for change, they call it Delta, denoted by a triangle. Why they have to call change something like delta is probably snobbery.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have ALL been lied to most of our lives....about MOST things. If there is money to be made...there is usually a big fat lie around it to push people toward the money maker in every topic (politics, global wars, food, pharmacy, medical, technology and don't leave out religion). We are all seeing a "shift" in all countries around the world not putting up with all the lies anymore and you can either get more informed and get on the side of TRUTH or stay in the dark and a sheep. I am praying the Lord heals our minds and our lands and if enough of His people repent and turn from their wicked ways.... or... the rapture happens and its done. Game over.

Ask a Question