Cilantro Vs Parsley?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am from a divided house. I LOVE cilantro, my husband hates it. He says it smells and tastes like stink bug. :LOL:

Welcome to the forum, @Gardening Girl !

I understand what your hubby means. I kept weeding this thug which gave out exactly the same smell as cilantro which we call coriander here. I felt sick sometimes smelling that, probably it dared to make me work hard.. They were everywhere. But cilantro itself is wonderful with curry, noodles .. probably in small doses .. Even the stalks are fantastic in cooking.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to the conversations.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can start your own thread(s) and steer the conversations closer to your own heart!

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice. I am brand new to forums, but I am sure I will get the hang of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Recently I was put in charge of making a guacamole dip, which I've never done (I've always made salsa dips); I was given the ingredients and started making it.

I had some cilantro and wasn't sure how much to put in, so I cut up a lot and threw it in, figuring it had to get rid of it and I never noticed the taste before, so what difference could it make.

After mixing in I took a test dip with my chips and noticed that the cilantro had a pretty strong citrus taste, which I've never noticed before, probably because people are generally conservative in the portions chopped and mixed in; or possibly they were using parsley.

I'm not an herb person, but I have noticed that cilantro looks a lot like parsley, but I'm wondering what you all think of the difference in taste between the two?
Lemon!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The only time parsley is good for flavour is when used for mussels cooking. People here generally love coriander. Agree parsley tastes a bit weird and coriander tastes even weirder, but if you like the latter, it's a life-long amour!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
just saw on the show "worst cooks in America " they were testing taste buds. and had made cilantro jello shots for the test. the one person tasted it and said, Oh yuck, tastes like soap, guess he did not have the gene to taste the herb.

My mother-in-law hates cilantro. She told me once that she thinks it tastes like soap. Since then, I've seen a lot of comments about it "tasting like soap". Interesting that so many people have the same opinion on what it tastes like. Hmmmmm.......

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love cilantro rather than parsley! Marmite thing though!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My mother-in-law hates cilantro. She told me once that she thinks it tastes like soap. Since then, I've seen a lot of comments about it "tasting like soap". Interesting that so many people have the same opinion on what it tastes like. Hmmmmm.......
its not an opinion. but a lack of a gene for that taste bud to be able to actually taste it. they simply cannot taste it. or it tastes like soap because of a lack of that taste bud.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
The Latin name for both cilantro and coriander is Coriandrum sativum. One uses the leaves and one uses the seeds.. I love them both as wall as parsley and celery...

And you can throw in a little garlic along the way... LOL

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The Latin name for both cilantro and coriander is Coriandrum sativum. One uses the leaves and one uses the seeds.. I love them both as wall as parsley and celery...

And you can throw in a little garlic along the way... LOL

If you are a curry lover, you use the stalks as well. Went to a cookery class, was taught to use the chopped stalks in the curry .. Lovely the stuff. Parsley is a bit bland and forgettable, but is lovely when added to mussels .. Need to sow some seeds for my coriander, but worried that there will be one more pot!

Ask a Question