Cilantro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have any advice for keeping cilantro alive? I water it as directed, but my cilantro only seems to last about a week. I've gone through numerous plants and its the only herb that I keep failing with. I leave it on my windowsill so it gets plenty of sunlight. I live in the NorthEast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone have any advice for keeping cilantro alive? I water it as directed, but my cilantro only seems to last about a week. I've gone through numerous plants and its the only herb that I keep failing with. I leave it on my windowsill so it gets plenty of sunlight. I live in the NorthEast.
Cilantro is difficult to grow indoors. It is a cool weather plant and if the temps get much above 70F it will become leggy and/or bolt and die. Being inside and next to a sunny window I am sure the temps are much higher than cilantro can tolerate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I bought a cilantro in a small plastic pot one day. It was very healthy and I was quite excited to tell my husband about. On the next day when I remembered the cilantro in the front garden, there were some leaves missing. The suspects were not insects though because the cutting was clean. It was like someone had played with my cilantro. On the succeeding days, we monitored the cilantro as it lost its leaves one by one. Fortunately, we caught the culprit - birds. They love cilantro leaves and they ate all the leaves of my cilantro so it died.

Reaction score
In my experience, cilantro was incredibly hard for me to keep alive. Someone told me last year that you have to really live in a specific area to grow it. I don't know if that is true, but the stuff drives me nuts! If you find a solution, please let us know. I'd love to save mine, but mine is pretty much dead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can only keep my cilantro outside in a pot! When they first grow, they were bushy and good looking, but with the heat of summer, it became legging but seeded itself, so I have cilantro to use, but it is not much. It could be what Chuck said, it needs cooler weather.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cilantro is difficult to grow indoors. It is a cool weather plant and if the temps get much above 70F it will become leggy and/or bolt and die. Being inside and next to a sunny window I am sure the temps are much higher than cilantro can tolerate
Oh wow thanks for that info. I always thought it would prefer warmer weather. Since it colder out Iay try growing it again and maybe keeping it away from the windowsill where it gets hot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a cilantro in a small plastic pot one day. It was very healthy and I was quite excited to tell my husband about. On the next day when I remembered the cilantro in the front garden, there were some leaves missing. The suspects were not insects though because the cutting was clean. It was like someone had played with my cilantro. On the succeeding days, we monitored the cilantro as it lost its leaves one by one. Fortunately, we caught the culprit - birds. They love cilantro leaves and they ate all the leaves of my cilantro so it died.
That's funny I had a similar experience with parsley. I had it growing outside next to basil and inchworms came and ate all the leaves. They didn't touch the basil though.

Ask a Question