first time herbs, cilantro

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I bought some cilantro. I have never planted herbs before. I'd really like to keep it inside if possible. Does anyone have any tips for a newbie? Anything special I need to know or any tips on growing it? Will it grow okay indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought some cilantro. I have never planted herbs before. I'd really like to keep it inside if possible. Does anyone have any tips for a newbie? Anything special I need to know or any tips on growing it? Will it grow okay indoors?
Cilantro was a bad choice at this time of year. It is a cool weather plant and when the temperatures stay above 75F for a few days it will bolt and go to seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Cilantro was a bad choice at this time of year. It is a cool weather plant and when the temperatures stay above 75F for a few days it will bolt and go to seed.
Thank you so much. You actually saved me from wasting it. I hadn't planted yet so I will try to wait for a more appropriate time. Do you have any suggestion on a herb I can start growing this time of year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I absolutely love the smell and taste of cilantro and would love to grow some of my own. I did not know it is a cool weather plant either. Since it is popular in Mexican and Vietnamese cooking I assumed that it was a warm weather plant. I will have to consider growing some this fall. How long does it take to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah, this herb prefers the cooler weather. Learned this the hard way, planted some in the late Spring and it couldn't handle the hot Atlanta temperatures. Glad that I still have seeds, I'll be ready for fall planting real soon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cilantro is easily my favorite herb. Did not know it was a cool weather plant. That is why it did well in May but not in June. Zone 8

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I also adore cilantro and found out the hard way it bolts very very quickly in summer heat! I don't bother any more- here it seems there isnt much of a cool season in between "chance of frost/snow" and "muggy hot summer."

Im amused though that it's been three years since Ive grown it and I still get volunteers coming up every year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you so much. You actually saved me from wasting it. I hadn't planted yet so I will try to wait for a more appropriate time. Do you have any suggestion on a herb I can start growing this time of year?
You can try mint for sure. :)

Ask a Question