Cilantro Tips?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an absolute obsession with cilantro, but I feel so wasteful when buying those giant bunches from the grocery store, half of which will inevitably be thrown away. I keep trying to grow it myself, but I'm having very little success. I'm hoping for some tips that will help me avoid having to give up entirely. I have both outdoor and indoor spaces available with about 8 hours of full daylight. My only real limitation is that I have to stick to container planting, as I'm living in an apartment. Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In what way are you having very little success? What size container are you using? How often do you water the plants?

I have grown cilantro in pots successfully for years. You'll need a 3 gallon or larger pot, as well as a tomato cage. Growing cilantro in containers is pretty, you just have to be sure and water the plants adequately and regularly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Cilantro is a cool weather herb, and really doesn't enjoy the mid-summer heat. Here in Texas we plant it for spring, and again for fall/early winter. In a container, you can keep it longer than if it were in the ground. However, as Chanell said, the container needs to be large enough, and I'd suggest that if you are in zone 7,8, or higher, give it afternoon shade.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an absolute obsession with cilantro, but I feel so wasteful when buying those giant bunches from the grocery store, half of which will inevitably be thrown away. I keep trying to grow it myself, but I'm having very little success. I'm hoping for some tips that will help me avoid having to give up entirely. I have both outdoor and indoor spaces available with about 8 hours of full daylight. My only real limitation is that I have to stick to container planting, as I'm living in an apartment. Thanks in advance for your help!

Make sure you have a deep pot. Then put a mix of gravel and sand at the bottom to hold the soil and drain the water. You need about two or three inches of that mix. Have at least six inches of soil or more, cilantro given enough room likes lots of room for their roots. Follow the directions on the package and plant the seeds. Make sure to water once a day but make sure the soil isn't damp the whole day so you don't get mold. Put it in the sun so it has at least four or six hours. Just be patient and plant a lot of seeds at a time to increase your chances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've only grown it outside in the soil, so I'm not too familiar with how it would do in a pot. However in saying that, like others have said I found that my cilantro really thrived in the cooler months (I'm talking like I had so much of it I didn't know what to do with it all!) but really died off in summer. So I think it could possibly be a climate/temperature thing if you're not finding it thriving the way you would expect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
ChannelG is right about using a large pot for in door growing or even on a patio, I grow mine out side where it gets only morning sun and it does well.

Ask a Question