Cilantro has lost its fragrance

Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember when growing up, my grandmother grew cilantro. It had a strong, distinct smell which I loved in Chinese, Mexican or Indian dishes. Now that I have my own garden, I wanted to grow cilantro. The plant did well but it just didn't have that distinct smell that I remember so well. It was nondescript. I've also gone to the supermarkets, picked up a bunch of cilantro and smelled it……very weak to no smell at all. What has gone wrong over the years? I've been to Chinese restaurants and their cilantro still had that unique smell. So, I know there are some varieties that haven't lost their scent. Do you know where I can buy seeds which produce a plant that actually smell like cilantro?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum @mangobutter! Great to have you here :)

Did you grow the cilantro from seed or did you buy the plant? Whenever I've had cilantro in the UK (here we call it coriander) it's always had a strong scent - hopefully someone here from the US can share their experience of finding some good varieties for you :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome, can't answer your question,tried growing some last yr. it didn't do well at all,have started some this yr. and have about 30 seedlings.I'm curious to find out now,that's the reason I'm trying to grow some for that fresh smell and taste in salsa :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome, can't answer your question,tried growing some last yr. it didn't do well at all,have started some this yr. and have about 30 seedlings.I'm curious to find out now,that's the reason I'm trying to grow some for that fresh smell and taste in salsa :)
I called the garden shop today. They said they have three varieties of cilantro. The one that has the strongest scent is the Chinese Cilantro. He said you have to re-seed after one harvest for this variety. Thank you for replying!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the forum @mangobutter! Great to have you here :)

Did you grow the cilantro from seed or did you buy the plant? Whenever I've had cilantro in the UK (here we call it coriander) it's always had a strong scent - hopefully someone here from the US can share their experience of finding some good varieties for you :)
I grew it from seed. Today, the garden shop told me to look for Chinese Cilantro because it is the most fragrant. Only one crop and you have to start over again. Thank you for posting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds more promising, let us know how you get on! Do you grow many other herbs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes i just look at my seed pack,and it just says cilantro,so I'll just have to wait and see with fingers crossed :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mangobutter, it's so reassuring to read this! About 8 years ago, if you went to the produce section of the grocery store the cilantro had this really strong smell. You could smell it 10 feet away. I guess the growers must have changed the type of cilantro they grow, or else grow it in a different way. Now it has no aroma and is tastes like soap. The old stuff tasted great and smelled great. I keep looking online to see if I can find some cilantro to grow that will actually smell like cilantro. I will have to try the chinese version. I used to love cilantro but won't eat it anymore. I have asked quite a few people about the smell of cilantro and it's like I'm the only human that remembers that cilantro has an amazing aroma that has disappeared. Thanks for posting this.

Ask a Question