Cilantro Vs Parsley?

Discussion in 'Herbs' started by roadrunner, Jan 1, 2018.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner

Recently I was put in charge of making a guacamole dip, which I've never done (I've always made salsa dips); I was given the ingredients and started making it.

I had some cilantro and wasn't sure how much to put in, so I cut up a lot and threw it in, figuring it had to get rid of it and I never noticed the taste before, so what difference could it make.

After mixing in I took a test dip with my chips and noticed that the cilantro had a pretty strong citrus taste, which I've never noticed before, probably because people are generally conservative in the portions chopped and mixed in; or possibly they were using parsley.

I'm not an herb person, but I have noticed that cilantro looks a lot like parsley, but I'm wondering what you all think of the difference in taste between the two?

roadrunner, Jan 1, 2018
    CanadianLori likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. roadrunner

Ian Administrator

They do taste a little similar to me, but I find that coriander/cilantro tastes much more intense than parsley (and a stronger aroma). I love the taste, but I know that a small number of the population have a gene that makes it taste "soapy"!

Whenever I make guacamole, I stick a reasonable sized bunch in :).

Ian, Jan 1, 2018
    CanadianLori likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. roadrunner

marlingardener

Cilantro is one of the inedible herbs, in my opinion! I must have the soapy gene because I can't stand the taste of the stuff, which makes dining at a Tex-Mex restaurant something of a challenge.
    On the other hand, I love flat-leaf parsley and use lots of it. I even freeze chopped parsley for use during the hot months when parsley curls up and dies here in Texas.

marlingardener, Jan 1, 2018
    DirtMechanic and CanadianLori like this.
  4. roadrunner

Greenhorn

We eat a lot of Mexican food :) People usually people love or hate cilantro, we all love it. To me cilantro has a very forward flavor and parsley is a little more subtle. We typically don't add cilantro to guacamole, we go with salt, pepper, a little sour cream and a touch of hot sauce. Adding diced onions, tomatoes and cilantro is how it's made some places. Way back in the day avocado and sour cream was considered "American" guacamole and the avocado, sour cream, onions, tomatoes and cilantro version was "Mexican" guacamole.

My daughter like cilantro (and some times sour cream) on top of black beans. Cilantro is also fantastic in a simple salsa fresca. Diced onions, tomatoes, peppers (your choice but like a Serrano, with a little heat), cilantro and a touch of vinegar. Yummm with chips and guacamore, on top of tacos... (y)

Cilantro is not to hard to grow, just best when temperatures are mild as it bolts quicker with warmer weather.

Greenhorn, Jan 2, 2018
  5. roadrunner

Esther Knapicius

Love Guacamole, make it rarely as I am the only one in the house that likes it.
    anyway, to be able to taste Cilantro is a genetic taste bud thing I read somewhere.

Esther Knapicius, Jan 2, 2018
  6. roadrunner

Silentrunning

I am one of the fortunate ones that loves the taste of cilantro. I also like parsley. I use them both extensively when they are in season.

Silentrunning, Jan 4, 2018
  7. roadrunner

Esther Knapicius

I make this often in the summer. If you like parsley, it is really good.
    1. 1 cup bulghur wheat.
    2. 1 1/2 cups boiling water. to soak the bulghur wheat in this one hour before the next steps.
    3. 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
    4. 1/4 cup good olive oil.
    5. 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt.
    6. 1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (1 bunch)
    7. 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (1 bunch)
    8. 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (1 bunch)

Esther Knapicius, Jan 4, 2018
    Silentrunning likes this.
  8. roadrunner

alp

Give me coriander any day! Love it! I even grew them last year and hopefully they self seed this year.

alp, Jan 4, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question