Christmas lights

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's all I'll probably do in the family snug, will do a little in the dining room later. We don't really use our main big lounge in the winter...so won't bother with that :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
UpsyDaisy, your decorations are absolutely stunning! They epitomize Christmas, but are unique and fit their surroundings so very well.
My goodness, you do have a flair for the holiday decorations!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will wade in the live tree / artificial tree debate. We will have a live tree this year for the first time in many years. The tree will be harvested off our own property. I have already chopped down several pines for fence posts. I am replacing the pines with Cedar and Spruce saplings. I realize that pines are an intricate part of a forest's ecosystem but I still want to reduce their numbers on my property. I also hope that by thinning the pines I can stop the spread of whatever is killing them in the Carolinas.

If you can too many conifer trees, it might be a good idea to remove some as they might impede sunlight reaching the ground and leaving the ground over dry and sterile. Strategic thinning will do other plants growing near the ground level a lot of good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you can too many conifer trees, it might be a good idea to remove some as they might impede sunlight reaching the ground and leaving the ground over dry and sterile. Strategic thinning will do other plants growing near the ground level a lot of good.

I have several areas where the long needle pines have killed everything. This is why I want to thin them out. I think that on some of them I could cut the top 6 or 8 feet off and have an acceptable Christmas tree. The remainder of the tree could be milled for lumber.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
usually do not do a typical "Christmas tree" although have lots of ornaments from years when I did packed away. I just hang some bobbles on one of my house plants and call it a day. Received a letter from the Christmas Police in October saying they were skipping my house for evaluation.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I've decorated my Christmas tree, had to order a new set of lights for the window. Wanted a set with clear cable, had to order it on line. Couldn't get it at the stores. I'll do some pics when it's all finished. I've tried the other sets out, just to make sure that they work.
@Upsy Daisy your's look great.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have several areas where the long needle pines have killed everything. This is why I want to thin them out. I think that on some of them I could cut the top 6 or 8 feet off and have an acceptable Christmas tree. The remainder of the tree could be milled for lumber.

Don't forget to keep the pine needles and chuck them on your blueberries, camellias, or pieris! They will love you for that.

Isn't it fantastic that you can get timber for free .. Green with envy .. I love the smell of newly sawn wood.. enough to turn you ... Hehe! So aromatic.. I often squeeze the needles and cypress leaves(?) to get that aroma.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have my Christmas tree up now. As the light was so poor, the flash has managed to ruin my pics. But still, Just to chip in

An articulated Santa
SAM_0399.JPG

Cheap buy cheerful
SAM_0400.JPG

Love this wind chime ..
SAM_0402.JPG

We didn't have the tree up last year, so making it up for last year.
SAM_0404.JPG

SAM_0406.JPG

Going to do dinner now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lovely decorations! The angel windchime looks hand-made--is it? If so, someone had a wonderful idea and executed it beautifully. I'm so glad you posted your tree photos. Ho, ho, ho!
Does everyone know that Queen Victoria's husband Albert brought the German tradition of Christmas trees to England, and therefore to the USA? We've copied the British for years!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely decorations! The angel windchime looks hand-made--is it? If so, someone had a wonderful idea and executed it beautifully. I'm so glad you posted your tree photos. Ho, ho, ho!
Does everyone know that Queen Victoria's husband Albert brought the German tradition of Christmas trees to England, and therefore to the USA? We've copied the British for years!

Yes, he seemed to be a nice German .. Look forward to seeing yours. So sorry that it is a sea of light. It's so dark today ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you see yours tomorrow. Been cooking for 2 hours plus.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I am so glad that I have now seen your sea of lights and I have the candles and various sitting characters. You've worked overtime, Logan..

Soooo fairyland like! Looooove it. I wish I had more lights. so magical..:D;););)

Ask a Question