alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 30143
We don't decorate outside, other than the swags and bows on the gates and candles (electric!) in the front windows. We have a real tree with decorations we've collected over the years, and a large collection of nativity scenes from around the world. We have a quiet, happy Christmas here on the farm.

Very nice. Truly nice and sweet as you, my dear friend, @marlingardener !

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We go for artificial, why waste a poor tree, our earth needs them!:)(y)

We don't put anything up outside and must admit to not much inside either, just the tree and a few other bits and bobs.:)

It was very different when our brood were young, we had decorations everywhere......even in the bathrooms !!! :ROFLMAO:
Just have to wait for some grandchildren ;)

I remember helping my in laws to decorate their tree. I felt so sorry for the fake tree as every inch was covered with something. I often wondered why it didn't collapse under the weights. For me, more is less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Ooh, can we see a pic of that? :D
no you cannot , just imagine the cut outs lights hitting the ceiling . I have had two bombay gin martinis , so what I am saying not is not worth anything, it was to get through a boring car club Christmas dinner where they talked about cars, like , who cares. if it does not work , etc.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We go for artificial, why waste a poor tree, our earth needs them!

I have the same thought. I see these tree farms and just think about what they could be if left to grow. Nice, dense pine forests. It just seems silly to kill a perfectly good tree. Hell I'd rather take it and plant it in my front yard for a permanent Christmas tree!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I agree, @JBtheExplorer . Seeing the trunk being cut and exposed in the air repulsed me. It must have taken a few year to grow to 4 inches in diameter. But it is a roaring trade. Nice to see quite a few in pots with root balls. After Christmas, this unloved trees will be languishing outside shops as people can't be bothered to dispose of them properly. The estate agent had one outside after Christmas for the last two years. One year, I even took a pair of scissors up the road to trim the branches of the pin needles for my acid soil loving plants. The things I will do for my plants...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MaryMary Here in the UK, they are selling machines which projects stars, rings, poppers and various sorts of patterns onto the ceiling and the floor for parties. I think they are about £50. It's like a projector.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
no you cannot , just imagine the cut outs lights hitting the ceiling . I have had two bombay gin martinis , so what I am saying not is not worth anything,

:ROFLMAO: Gotcha! Say no more. ;)

@MaryMary Here in the UK, they are selling machines which projects stars, rings, poppers and various sorts of patterns onto the ceiling and the floor for parties.

Here, too. (y) That's why I wanted to see the stars from Esther's. I want one of the ones for outside. "Star Showers," I think they are called.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, both Amazon and Home Depot have the Star Showers. Take a look at the ones on Amazon--photo of the effect are posted.
I'll stick with our candles. It takes my husband all of 15 minutes to put them in the windows, and he's exhausted for the rest of the day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
working on my outside lights, have the tree part done with 4 lines hanging from a mid-way up the tall thin tree, used an old car hose to form the bottom wide skirt, used a hook on a short limb as high as my ladder could reach for looping it. turned it on, looks decent. also have extra strings to wrap around a milk crate to make it look like a gift, and have a reindeer to plug in. when done will get that pic. this is the first year trying this .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I will wade in the live tree / artificial tree debate. We will have a live tree this year for the first time in many years. The tree will be harvested off our own property. I have already chopped down several pines for fence posts. I am replacing the pines with Cedar and Spruce saplings. I realize that pines are an intricate part of a forest's ecosystem but I still want to reduce their numbers on my property. I also hope that by thinning the pines I can stop the spread of whatever is killing them in the Carolinas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Silent, enjoy your tree--choosing the right tree, and the scent which will perfume the room.
Christmas tree farms are just that--a farm (okay, I'm prejudiced on the side of folks who grow things) and the trees are a crop. As soon as a tree is harvested, it is replaced with another. Farmers don't harvest their corn and then say, "Whoo, well that's done and I won't have to plant again."
A lot of tree farms are supplemental income for farmers. a needed cash crop.
Nothing against artificial trees, and while I'm vacuuming up needles until June, y'all will be sipping cold beverages on the patio!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20171204_161505.jpg
IMG_20171204_162115.jpg

Ask a Question