Christmas baking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Thanks, i can't wire stuff, but very good with crafts. When i was at school,in one of the lessons i made a leather case for a small radio, a food tray with basketing around the rim. We had sewing lessons, made a nightee and a blouse.

I started playing with leccy because I couldn't afford an electrician. Never forget having a wirenharness totally burnt out in my clothes dryer. Had to bypass and direct connect tne wires but they weren't colour coded to each other. Phones my dad for advice. He said well just guess. If it's wrong, when you plug it in, you'll know!

Then last New Years day I blew out the harness in my oven whilst trying to change the door from right to left... should have pulled the fuse. The fireworks were impressive. And after seeing that, I got a proper licenced appliance guy to fix it.

Know your limits, stay within it.

Oh wait, that's the slogan for not drinking too much... yup, still applies here :)

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, had to delete that message. Now I'm off to bed ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I started playing with leccy because I couldn't afford an electrician. Never forget having a wirenharness totally burnt out in my clothes dryer. Had to bypass and direct connect tne wires but they weren't colour coded to each other. Phones my dad for advice. He said well just guess. If it's wrong, when you plug it in, you'll know!

Then last New Years day I blew out the harness in my oven whilst trying to change the door from right to left... should have pulled the fuse. The fireworks were impressive. And after seeing that, I got a proper licenced appliance guy to fix it.

Know your limits, stay within it.

Oh wait, that's the slogan for not drinking too much... yup, still applies here :)

That's what happened when our Nissan had the fuses blown again. I asked my son if he could fuse them together. He said no as the wires were never colour coded. All white. What a stupid idea. He told me that if he made a wrong connection, it would cost more. In the end, garage job and cost me £60.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
That's what happened when our Nissan had the fuses blown again. I asked my son if he could fuse them together. He said no as the wires were never colour coded. All white. What a stupid idea. He told me that if he made a wrong connection, it would cost more. In the end, garage job and cost me £60.
You've got to be careful,it could have made the car live.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I will not risk my son's life. My next car won't be a Nissan. The boot tends to fail the MOT as the wires part on the top of the boot are always broken, making the back screen wiper unable to function or boot refuses to open. Very nasty. Cost me £60 every 2 or 3 years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have two electric ovens, and here's what I put in them:

The recipe for parmigana crackers for Alp

1 c. all purpose flour, with a bit more as needed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. finely grated parmesan cheese
4 tblsps. unsalted butter
1/2 c. cream, or half and half (I prefer half and half)
Coarse salt, pepper, sesame or poppy seeds, minced garlic or whatever you prefer for sprinkling on top

Put flour, salt, cheese and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until flour and better are combined. Add about 1/4 c. half-and-half and let machine run for a bit--continue to add liquid a little at a time, until mixture holds together but isn't sticky.

Roll dough out on a lightly floured board to 1/4" thickness.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and transfer dough to the sheet (draping it over the rolling pin makes the transfer easier). Score the dough lightly with a sharp knife into the size crackers you want (rectanular, square, or triangular) then sprinkle with the desired topping.

Bake for about 10 minutes, or until crackers are lightly browned. Cool on rack and when cool, break into cracker sizes. Serve at room temperature. Can be stored in a tin for up to a week.

And for those of you who haven't experienced Snickerdoodles (funny name--great taste!) here is a tried and true recipe I've made for years.

Snickerdoodles

2 3/4 c. sifted all purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. softened butter or margarine
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 tblsps. ground cinnamon*
1 tblsp. sugar

Sift the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Work shortening in a separate bowl until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until well blended. Add eggs and beat well. Gradually add the sifted ingredients, mixing well after each addition.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill dough in refrigerator for at least two hours.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets with unsalted shortening. Mix cinnamon and the 1 tblsp. of sugar in a bowl. Roll rounded tsps. of dough in the sugar/cinnamon mixture and place 2" apart on baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely. This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Do not double the recipe
*(I use 2 tblsps. cinnamon to 1 tblsp. of sugar for rolling the dough--you really have to be a cinnamon fan to use more!)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
In the main oven,i keep the roasting tins and 2 frying pans, with 2 food turners. Last week i took them out when making the mince pies. Didn't notice that one of the food turners fell at the back of the oven. I could smell something burning,it was the food turner at the back all melted. I can still use it now it's gone back to normal,but the handle is a bit miss shaped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have two electric ovens, and here's what I put in them:

And for those of you who haven't experienced Snickerdoodles (funny name--great taste!) here is a tried and true recipe I've made for years.

Snickerdoodles

2 3/4 c. sifted all purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. softened butter or margarine
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 tblsps. ground cinnamon*
1 tblsp. sugar

Sift the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Work shortening in a separate bowl until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until well blended. Add eggs and beat well. Gradually add the sifted ingredients, mixing well after each addition.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill dough in refrigerator for at least two hours.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets with unsalted shortening. Mix cinnamon and the 1 tblsp. of sugar in a bowl. Roll rounded tsps. of dough in the sugar/cinnamon mixture and place 2" apart on baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely. This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Do not double the recipe
*(I use 2 tblsps. cinnamon to 1 tblsp. of sugar for rolling the dough--you really have to be a cinnamon fan to use more!)
Yes, the recipe is bank on for snickerdoodles. Have never tried the other but will save it to my recipe inmail box.
Thank you! You rock!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
IMG_9940.JPG

Here are three of the trays I delivered to friends today. The jar contains Holiday Cranberry Chutney, the little white wrapped thing at the end of the tray is a homemade beeswax votive candle, and there are Amish cut out cookies, spritz with a chocolate drop in the center, cranberry/nut bread, pumpkin bread, ginger snaps, and fudgy brownies with almond sprinkles. For the diabetics I made the parmigianno and the cheddar cheese crackers. I dearly love baking for the holidays (or any other day, actually!).

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whoa! So much happened yesterday. You definitely rock, @marlingardener !

Thank you for the recipe. I will try it when I have got all the ingredients. I have gluten free flour and hope to use it.

@marlingardener Corr! Another domestic goddess! You can make candles, too! I would like to have a go. Those plates look lovely and you baked for the diabetes as well. Very impressed. You have a showcase on, I must have a look. I'd love to buy a project and get something with solar panels in the new place.

@Logan this has now become a very exciting thread.. Thank you for creating it. So much to share and I love that feast for the eyes!

Ask a Question