Chocolate Mint

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never heard of fresh chocolate mint herb before until last month, and the lady gave me a leaf to sniff. I tasted it, and it was good. So I asked for a few cuttings. I planted them in a container, and like the rest of the mint family, it can be invasive. I am glad to report that they are growing beautifully.
IMG_1541.JPG

Below is the regular mint
IMG_1543.JPG

Both together
IMG_1544.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice! I grew it for a while, just because I loved the smell. It really is chocolatey.
I see you're having the same problem with the maple leaf spinners as I am. :censored:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's not the first time when I hear about chocolate mint. It sounds like a wonderful herb:) I want to start growing it, too. The smell of chocolate always puts me in a good mood:D

Reaction score
We grow that variety at home, I still have some in that pot :) We use them for so many things! I'd say is the variety is used the most over here, actually until some years ago I thought it was the only one that existed, lol. Your cuttings are looking good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice! I grew it for a while, just because I loved the smell. It really is chocolatey.
I see you're having the same problem with the maple leaf spinners as I am. :censored:

Haha, yes, the maple leaf spinners are coming down like snow from two houses away from me! It is just impossible to keep them away from my containers and garden area.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chocolate mint is one of my favorite candies and drinks. I will have to find some to plant in a planter for myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haha, yes, the maple leaf spinners are coming down like snow from two houses away from me! It is just impossible to keep them away from my containers and garden area.

I have a really huge maple very close to my house and like snow is right. Yesterday morning I hosed and swept off these hostas and this morning, lots more spinners have landed. And tens of thousands left on the tree.

hostas.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I guess I am now a woman on a mission! I had no idea this was an herb. And I have those maple leaf spinners everywhere! I came home from work the other day and even my dog was covered in them! I was like what the....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You know I love the smell too and it is a fun herb to toy around with, but when it came down to it, I couldn't think of how I would use it.

What do you all do with it? Tea? (Sounds a little gross to me but I'm open if there's a recipe you love.)

Desserts? Is it really worth the work? Does it make desserts taste a little.... I don't know... leafy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I got curious and googled chocolate mint herb recipes and came up with lots of interesting sites.
The comments here are pretty interesting....if you drink vodka apparently it makes a dandy infused vodka liquor!

Completely coincidentally, I sometimes read the Chowhound forums and right at the top of the page just now was this thread about uses for chocolate mint.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/639617

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, I guess I am now a woman on a mission! I had no idea this was an herb. And I have those maple leaf spinners everywhere! I came home from work the other day and even my dog was covered in them! I was like what the....

The lady who gave me some cutting said that they are very invasive, and don't worry about taking them out. They will come back every year stronger!

The maple leaf spinners are covering my entire area, and there is no way to really stop them until they are done spreading :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I got curious and googled chocolate mint herb recipes and came up with lots of interesting sites.
The comments here are pretty interesting....if you drink vodka apparently it makes a dandy infused vodka liquor!

Completely coincidentally, I sometimes read the Chowhound forums and right at the top of the page just now was this thread about uses for chocolate mint.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/639617

This is interesting! I am waiting for my cuttings to get stronger and will take some leaves for my salad, and maybe making tea out of it. The owner said she made chocolate mint tea to drink and I can't wait to have some :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know I love the smell too and it is a fun herb to toy around with, but when it came down to it, I couldn't think of how I would use it.

What do you all do with it? Tea? (Sounds a little gross to me but I'm open if there's a recipe you love.)

Desserts? Is it really worth the work? Does it make desserts taste a little.... I don't know... leafy?

I will make chocolate mint tea as the lady said it was what she did! I am sure this will be such a delightful tea to drink in the evening when it is a bit chilly outside! I am not good with baking so I will leave that to you :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never heard of it. But the name definitely implies I'll love it. I'm going to look for some. Is it too late to plant them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've never heard of it. But the name definitely implies I'll love it. I'm going to look for some. Is it too late to plant them

I don't know where you live, but I just planted mine about a week ago, here in Michigan. I think it is still early in the summer, so I don't think it is too late to plant them.

Ask a Question