Comos Arrosanguineus otherwise known as Chocolate Cosmos

Reaction score
When first introduced Comos Arrosanguineus was the height of fashion, and a must have plant for all fashion conscious gardeners, but now, even though the hype has died down, remains a much talked about, highly useful addition to any ones garden, but fairly exclusive and rarely seen in seed catalogs, due to the fact that, it doesn't readily self seed, and needs to be propagated by stem cuttings in spring, making availability limited to garden centers and nurseries.
If you are lucky enough to acquire this half hardy, relatively pest free, tuberous rooted perennial, it will reward you, with its intense, but not overpowering chocolate flavored fragrance (chocolate lovers heaven, but without the calories) and a summer long display of dark, velvety maroon flowers, arising from its bright green, deeply lobed foliage.
Chocolate Comos grows in any well drained soil and is suitable for flower borders or containers.
Like all other Comos requires full sun, regular dead heading and moderate watering, although once established, this plant is fully drought tolerant.
Grows to around a meter in height with a spread of about half a meter.
Can be overwintered in the ground if kept on the dry side and given a layer of mulch.
Too much winter moisture can rot the tubers, so if you live in an area, with heavy winter rainfall, you may wish to lift the tubers in the autumn and store them as you would dahlias or alternatively only grown them in containers, where you can control the moisture of the soil.
Comos Arrosanguineus looks stunning when planted with Coreopsis, yellow gazanias or any plant with silver foliage.
Hopefully I have included everything you would need to know, in order to grow this plant, and receive as much pleasure as I do, from growing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, I would love to grow it! I'm a real chocolate addict, it would be more than wonderful if I could smell it while working in my garden. It's really interesting, thank you for the information!:)

Reaction score
I had never heard of chocolate cosmos so I looked them up to see what they look like. They are a beautifully colored flower and look very much like the ones I grow from seeds that I am so fond of. I am definitly going to have to find some for my flower bed next spring.

Reaction score
Haha! I tried googling for this to get a picture for you all, and this thread is the first result on Google! XD

Anyway, a picture for you all.

PL2000010615_card_lg.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's gorgeous!!:love: Now, I want to grow it even more. I had no idea that it's such a pretty plant. I love these dark red flowers. I must look for it at gardening stores and do some more research. I hope it will survive in my climate zone. I have well drained soil:)

Reaction score
The reason why it is so difficult to find pictures of Comos Atrosanguineus - apart from the fact that I've just realized - that I hadn't noticed that I made a spelling mistake when posting this thread - for which I apologize :D - is due to the fact that at as I mentioned in my initial post - as " Chocolate Cosmos " is not self fertile and therefore very rarely puts out seed - it is quite a rare plant that is quite difficult to get hold of - due to the fact that there are not many of them around - especially as at one time it very nearly became extinct.

I do however have a couple of pictures of a real " Chocolate Cosmos " - which although you can't smell its wonderful chocolatey scent - will at least let you see how beautiful its velvety petals are

Cosmos Atrosanguineus - " Chocamocha "

Cosmos Atrosanguineus - Chocamocha 2.jpg

Cosmos Atrosanguineus - Chocamocha in gravel.jpg

I would however just add - as many of you are expressing a wish to grow this beautiful plant - that as IT CANNOT BE GROWN FROM SEED and can only be propagated by stem cuttings or tuber division - you are only likely to find it in a garden store or nursery - which if it is not on display you may find that you have to ask if they can get hold of one for you - especially as many are often very willing to do this and that is how I got hold of mine - but please do make sure that it actually has a proper label on it - verifying that it is a Cosmos Atrosanguineus " Chocamocha " :)

Reaction score
I would however just add - as many of you are expressing a wish to grow this beautiful plant - that as IT CANNOT BE GROWN FROM SEED and can only be propagated by stem cuttings or tuber division - you are only likely to find it in a garden store or nursery - which if it is not on display you may find that you have to ask if they can get hold of one for you - especially as many are often very willing to do this and that is how I got hold of mine - but please do make sure that it actually has a proper label on it - verifying that it is a Cosmos Atrosanguineus " Chocamocha " :)

I'm amazed that people aren't working on a way to 'fix' this sort of thing, and find another way of allowing it to reproduce. In fact, how the hell does it reproduce in the wild?

Reaction score
I'm amazed that people aren't working on a way to 'fix' this sort of thing, and find another way of allowing it to reproduce. In fact, how the hell does it reproduce in the wild?

Cosmos Atrosanguineus doesn't reproduce in the wild - which is in fact - the main reason why it is now almost extinct and the reason why it is such a rare and difficult plant to find.

Botanists have found another way of propagating this plant - which is why they are doing everything they can to stop this plant from becoming totally extinct - by gradually increasing the number of plants using stem cuttings or tuber divisions - which as I've already mentioned - as Cosmos Atrosanguineus is not self fertile and therefore very, very rarely if ever produces any seed - is the only way that this plant can be propagated.

Reaction score
Cosmos Atrosanguineus doesn't reproduce in the wild - which is in fact - the main reason why it is now almost extinct and the reason why it is such a rare and difficult plant to find.

Botanists have found another way of propagating this plant - which is why they are doing everything they can to stop this plant from becoming totally extinct - by gradually increasing the number of plants using stem cuttings or tuber divisions - which as I've already mentioned - as Cosmos Atrosanguineus is not self fertile and therefore very, very rarely if ever produces any seed - is the only way that this plant can be propagated.
I meant, how did it come into being in the first place?

I mean, if it doesn't reproduce in the wild, I can only assume that it is is a man made plant. But then I would have thought that anyone who made a plant would have not only ensured that it could breed in the wild, but also would ensure that they kept a large population of the plant in question.

Reaction score
Those are beautiful. I have never heard of them before. How much do you think a starter tube would cost? I am assuming it is a very pricey plant to own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow..chocolate cosmos! Didn't there is such a thing, and they are beautiful. I only have the pink cosmos in my garden. I love dark color flowers!

@gata montes I don't know where you live, but your garden must be heavenly to spend time in :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lost ours to a wet winter (You live and learn), but it will be replaced one day, and I am definitely going to try some cuttings when it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucSac841

Latest Threads