Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
I wanted to be a little brave this year and try some new tomato varieties. My 1st year, a lot of the ones I grew were okay, but not very tasty. I grew some romas and standard cherry tomatoes. I wanted something that would give me a good harvest but also give me that wow factor as far as flavor...

So, came across someone selling 40 seed packets of non gmo organic seeds for $2. I figured for 2 bucks, I'll make the leap. I am very excited to try this variety, as I have always had my eye on the Cherokee Purples and such. I heard they are a very prolific plant, and that I should expect huge plants 5-7' with a 3' spread. Anyone else grown this type before? Are they as delicious as I heard they are?

Edit: I am also doing Bonnie Red (or best not sure) this year, and those seedlings are strong and in charge!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
I grew Chocolate Cherry Tomato for several years and loved it. It has a rich flavorful tomato taste. It is not as sweet as Sun Sugar, which I also love. I found it best to pick chocolate cherry (and sun sugar) when it first is changing color from green to dusky burgundy. Then I let them ripen in single layers on plates and trays and such on my kitchen table. That way you get the full flavor, but no possibility of splitting fruit. Water makes tomatoes split: rain water or rinsing at the sink. Do not rinse until ready to eat. This year I am trying Black Cherry instead, because the seed companies I ordered from had that kind but not chocolate cherry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chocolate cherry tomatoes sounds absolutely wonderful, and I didn't know there is such thing. So far this year, I have learned of the chocolate mint and planted them in a container. Now, I know there is chocolate cherry tomatoes. I will be on a hunt for this :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes sound like they would be a lot of fun to grow and eat. By the title of this thread, I thought people were actually dipping their cherry tomatoes in chocolate...and that intrigued me! I am always amazed by all the new plants and hybrids that I learn about on this forum.

JHB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I bought a chocolate cherry plant at the farmers market in a whim. They were very good tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Eh? Chocolate? Tomatoes?!? Thought I'd mis-read the title at first! :confused: :LOL:

Ask a Question