Chocolate Mint

Reaction score
I recieved some clippings of a chocolate mint plant a few months ago, and I had to take it inside, though it is thin, I was wondering if you have to pull the leaves like on a basil plant to make it look a little thicker and bushier?

Reaction score
I recieved some clippings of a chocolate mint plant a few months ago, and I had to take it inside, though it is thin, I was wondering if you have to pull the leaves like on a basil plant to make it look a little thicker and bushier?

If you want a bushy plant - then yes - you treat chocolate mint in much the same way as you would basil - by regularly pinching out the top growing tips - which not only avoids the problem of it flowering but also - as doing this encourages bottom side shoots - it guarantees that you'll have a bushy plant too :)

Reaction score
I have a small chocolate mint plant too, but I'm not an expert. Why is it desirable to prevent it from flowering? I use mint leaves so often that the plant won't even have a chance to flower, but I'm just curious.

Reaction score
from my guess it will work harder to flower than to grow more leaves, it would want to procreate more than it would want to grow its leaves so without the flowers it will continue to grow leaves as opposed to taking all its energie on flowers and seeds (this is the guess i'm getting from previous growths of different plants. it may not be 100% correct)

Reaction score
That's so interesting, Shawchert! I had always wondered why it was desirable for the plant not to be flowering! It does make sense! I'll bear that in mind the next time I grow basil!

Reaction score
Not a bad guess Shawchert as although you are right in thinking that allowing the majority of herbs to flower - would weaken the plant - as it would be directing all of its energy into producing and sustaining the flower - one of the main reasons why its better not to allow herbs to flower - is that you get a better flavor that way - especially as the majority of herbs when allowed to flower - generally have a slightly bitter taste.

Ask a Question