Chocolate Mint

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
We use chocolate mint as ground cover in our permaculture garden. It's true, it can be invasive! But with proper management they are an excellent bug repellent plants. It has helped protect our kale and lettuce plants through the hottest months especially. We get 3-5 big mint harvests a year, sadly we can't give the stuff away fast enough! Lots and lots of tea for us...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Is it only the colour or does it also smell like chocolate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use chocolate mint as ground cover in our permaculture garden. It's true, it can be invasive! But with proper management they are an excellent bug repellent plants. It has helped protect our kale and lettuce plants through the hottest months especially. We get 3-5 big mint harvests a year, sadly we can't give the stuff away fast enough! Lots and lots of tea for us...

Maybe you can offer some of them to our gardeners here in the forum some, as some of them are on the hunt for it. :) I didn't know that they are excellent bug repellent plants. Ha, now I will grow more!

I can't wait to make my first cup of tea!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
Is it only the colour or does it also smell like chocolate?
No chocolate color, typical green leaves, very similar to spearmint. It does have a kind of chocolatey after taste, hence the name :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
Maybe you can offer some of them to our gardeners here in the forum some, as some of them are on the hunt for it. :) I didn't know that they are excellent bug repellent plants. Ha, now I will grow more!

I can't wait to make my first cup of tea!!
I've never shipped plants before but I wouldnt mind trying if people can't find any. I would to share my curse.. I mean my gift. it's a wonderful, hardy plant. only maintenance I have is it grows faster than I can harvest! It's pretty amazing.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Thank you for posting this! It is my first time to hear about chocolate mint. I bet it smells and tastes good. Does it taste like Girl Scout cookies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for posting this! It is my first time to hear about chocolate mint. I bet it smells and tastes good. Does it taste like Girl Scout cookies?

It tastes like those little mint drops. Tangy and delicious! Smell just like one too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
I was surprised to see chocolate mint at my Home Depot yesterday!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was surprised to see chocolate mint at my Home Depot yesterday!
I just went to Home Depot a couple of days ago to look for basil plant, but don't see much of anything there. I think I was too late.

Ask a Question