Cherry tree issue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My cherry tree has been in the ground for about 1 year and is probably 3 years old. I'm in Southeast Coastal Georgia, zone 8b. The temperatures have been in the mid to upper 90s for about 1-2 weeks. Is this a water, heat or disease issue? Or is it a seasonal situation, coming into Fall?
cherry tree II.JPG
cherry tree I.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't look like disease, I would give it a good drink and keep my fingers crossed that the weather is a bit more reasonable next year.

My plum tree is looking a bit unhappy after a drought and heat wave, and I am seeing leaves swirling in the wind as though it is Autumn already, trees have been suffering this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My cherry is losing leaves already and its barely August. They come out first in the spring though. They come from a different time zone I swear. Which species of cherry is that anyway?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My cherry tree is doing something similar. When I bought it, there were no leaves so I thought they are starting to fall off. I thought it was normal until I saw this post!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, this year has been a very different one from the point of view of weather already, there has been a prolonged drought and record temperatures for England, not just a bit different from normal, way different, Add to that I see reports of prolonged rain and flooding in places like Oman and at the same time record lows in the levels of salt lakes in Utah, everywhere the weather is becoming unpredictable. I know it always was unpredictable to a degree, but not this degree. It also seems to be agreed by most reputable scientists that the change is real, and those who dispute it are to be suspected of bias. I am reminded of the link between tobacco and cancer which was discovered by German scientists in the 1940's, and dismissed by interested parties as Nazi propaganda for the next fifteen years or so, then disputed heavily and dishonestly for another twenty. That resulted in a painful and unpleasant death for a few million people, not all that significant in a population of billions, but change in climate will disrupt food production world wide, not just ruin our gardens, and kill hundreds of millions by starvation. Of course we live in societies that have the means to ensure what food there is we get, but even so it does not seem to big an ask that we try to regulate our energy usage a bit. It would also make sense for our own pockets, a ride on mower that ran on a renewable energy source wouldn't cost us in gasoline. Meanwhile I am driving my car less, I don't just pop out when I need something, but make an expedition that does several jobs. I use public transport for things like hospital appointments, I watch less crap on the TV and read second hand books from thrift shops. When people canvass my vote I make it clear what my priorities are, and here I am encouraging others to do the same. I won't make a huge difference on my own, but there are millions of ordinary people like me who don't want their garden to become a desert, or watch children in third world countries starve on TV, and together, just maybe, we can stop at least some of it.

Sorry about the rant, but really ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well, this year has been a very different one from the point of view of weather already, there has been a prolonged drought and record temperatures for England, not just a bit different from normal, way different, Add to that I see reports of prolonged rain and flooding in places like Oman and at the same time record lows in the levels of salt lakes in Utah, everywhere the weather is becoming unpredictable. I know it always was unpredictable to a degree, but not this degree. It also seems to be agreed by most reputable scientists that the change is real, and those who dispute it are to be suspected of bias. I am reminded of the link between tobacco and cancer which was discovered by German scientists in the 1940's, and dismissed by interested parties as Nazi propaganda for the next fifteen years or so, then disputed heavily and dishonestly for another twenty. That resulted in a painful and unpleasant death for a few million people, not all that significant in a population of billions, but change in climate will disrupt food production world wide, not just ruin our gardens, and kill hundreds of millions by starvation. Of course we live in societies that have the means to ensure what food there is we get, but even so it does not seem to big an ask that we try to regulate our energy usage a bit. It would also make sense for our own pockets, a ride on mower that ran on a renewable energy source wouldn't cost us in gasoline. Meanwhile I am driving my car less, I don't just pop out when I need something, but make an expedition that does several jobs. I use public transport for things like hospital appointments, I watch less crap on the TV and read second hand books from thrift shops. When people canvass my vote I make it clear what my priorities are, and here I am encouraging others to do the same. I won't make a huge difference on my own, but there are millions of ordinary people like me who don't want their garden to become a desert, or watch children in third world countries starve on TV, and together, just maybe, we can stop at least some of it.

Sorry about the rant, but really ...
I cannot help but wonder about change myself. My latest concern has been radiant energy in the garden. I know the sun has reversed course and begun its journey to another solar maximum, but the baseline heat seems upwards of where it has been years past. I would love to get some gear out there and see if the readings of uv, visible and infrared are of a notable variance from some properly taken readings. The chart below remarks on visible and uv light not infrared. It would be the infrared and how moisture in the atmosphere is absorbing it more during a wet year here that interests me, as well as any other energies the plants are reacting to across our sweltering summers.

Screenshot_20220802-071603.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Love Your Rant, Oliver. Also enjoyed reading the related posts. Informative, to be sure.

If you all don't mind another rant...

Climate change is real & it's scary.
Every year, our local weather (Detroit, Mi USA) is different. We get spells of non-stop rain for days, then dry for days or weeks. The winter temperature is higher than ever. Snow is either none or tons. I know a scientist who lived in the artic. She said years ago, when a glacier would calf, they'd all run outside to watch. In the later years (about 5 years ago), calving was no longer a miracle, but an interruption due to the disruptive noise. But, supposedly climate change a myth.

I'm glad to hear you guys are aware of it and trying to make a dent. Please teach the kids! I try to make my small dent. If we all made small dents, the problem could vanish & maybe, just maybe, we could un-do some damage.

Some people refuse to do anything to help, after all it's become a political issue in the U. S. "Stupid liberal tree hugger!"
I watch my neighbors stuff cardboard & water bottles into the plastic trash bags, instead of the recycling container. I've had many complaints that I re-use boxes when I ship and use recycled paper or real popcorn in paper bags for packing instead of oil made, landfill clogging foam nuts or spray-in-place foam. And, how dare I re-use a cardboard box. Sure, cardboard recycles, but it takes energy to recycle in back into cardboard.

Anything oil is something to be minimized. Over 100 years ago, Henry Ford famously demonstrated the strength of soy plastic with a sledge hammer & ax. (I doubt his motive was environmental, rather I suspect was economic. But who am I to judge?) Perhaps we could aim that way again, but with less pesticides and less water to grow the soy. Beef is another thing to be ditched, at least here in the United States. What an environmental disaster it is! As a bonus, the company I worked for owned food manufacturing plants, including beef processing. About 6 years ago when i left, and maybe even now, the beef industry could still add trans fats to beef- and ammonia gas. It was the only industry where trans fats were allowed. Yuck!

Neighbors laugh when I push my reel mower instead of firing up a gasoline eating, carbon spewing gas mower. Even here, where the average lot is 40 x 100 feet, people ride sit down mowers on the little lawns we have left after a house, garage and driveway is placed. My guess is shoving a reel mower around has to have a better health benefit than breathing whatever comes out of a gas mower. A bonus, to be sure. (I do cheat and use my battery mower when things get out of control.) My wish was that we had reliable public transportation so I could use it more. (Detroit bus system's motto is "A bus will get there eventually- maybe".) My bicycle is a real help, as is combining errands.

The planet is a gift and we must treat our gifts well- plus protect them for those who will live here long after we're gone. If there is a "here" in which to live.

Thanks Again for all of you for taking time to post information from which we can learn. I very much enjoyed reading your posts.

FrdNicuolas, how'd your cherry tree make out? Good I hope. They are beautiful!

Paul

PS: Interesting tobacco fact:
In school we learned that 1836, Samuel Green discovered, and made public, that tobacco was a poison, insecticide and can kill mammals, including people. In 1847, Phillip Morris company squashed his publicity efforts. Nicotine is still used today as an insecticide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Love Your Rant, Oliver. Also enjoyed reading the related posts. Informative, to be sure.

If you all don't mind another rant...

Climate change is real & it's scary.
Every year, our local weather (Detroit, Mi USA) is different. We get spells of non-stop rain for days, then dry for days or weeks. The winter temperature is higher than ever. Snow is either none or tons. I know a scientist who lived in the artic. She said years ago, when a glacier would calf, they'd all run outside to watch. In the later years (about 5 years ago), calving was no longer a miracle, but an interruption due to the disruptive noise. But, supposedly climate change a myth.

I'm glad to hear you guys are aware of it and trying to make a dent. Please teach the kids! I try to make my small dent. If we all made small dents, the problem could vanish & maybe, just maybe, we could un-do some damage.

Some people refuse to do anything to help, after all it's become a political issue in the U. S. "Stupid liberal tree hugger!"
I watch my neighbors stuff cardboard & water bottles into the plastic trash bags, instead of the recycling container. I've had many complaints that I re-use boxes when I ship and use recycled paper or real popcorn in paper bags for packing instead of oil made, landfill clogging foam nuts or spray-in-place foam. And, how dare I re-use a cardboard box. Sure, cardboard recycles, but it takes energy to recycle in back into cardboard.

Anything oil is something to be minimized. Over 100 years ago, Henry Ford famously demonstrated the strength of soy plastic with a sledge hammer & ax. (I doubt his motive was environmental, rather I suspect was economic. But who am I to judge?) Perhaps we could aim that way again, but with less pesticides and less water to grow the soy. Beef is another thing to be ditched, at least here in the United States. What an environmental disaster it is! As a bonus, the company I worked for owned food manufacturing plants, including beef processing. About 6 years ago when i left, and maybe even now, the beef industry could still add trans fats to beef- and ammonia gas. It was the only industry where trans fats were allowed. Yuck!

Neighbors laugh when I push my reel mower instead of firing up a gasoline eating, carbon spewing gas mower. Even here, where the average lot is 40 x 100 feet, people ride sit down mowers on the little lawns we have left after a house, garage and driveway is placed. My guess is shoving a reel mower around has to have a better health benefit than breathing whatever comes out of a gas mower. A bonus, to be sure. (I do cheat and use my battery mower when things get out of control.) My wish was that we had reliable public transportation so I could use it more. (Detroit bus system's motto is "A bus will get there eventually- maybe".) My bicycle is a real help, as is combining errands.

The planet is a gift and we must treat our gifts well- plus protect them for those who will live here long after we're gone. If there is a "here" in which to live.

Thanks Again for all of you for taking time to post information from which we can learn. I very much enjoyed reading your posts.

FrdNicuolas, how'd your cherry tree make out? Good I hope. They are beautiful!

Paul

PS: Interesting tobacco fact:
In school we learned that 1836, Samuel Green discovered, and made public, that tobacco was a poison, insecticide and can kill mammals, including people. In 1847, Phillip Morris company squashed his publicity efforts. Nicotine is still used today as an insecticide.
This video helps those that think people are important. The breathlessness grows smaller in perspective. Radiant energy, without which you simply freeze, not so obviously changes, so wait for the end of the vid and see the difference in radiant sources.

Caycanh

Cây cảnh trang trí và nghe nhạc Thánh ca
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
this is the phenomenon of plants drying out due to heat shock, called sunbathing.
Sudden increase in temperature, the plant did not have time to react

Ask a Question