Cherry tree pest issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I’m new to the forum and relatively new to the world of fruit trees. I’ve recently (April this year) planted a number of fruit trees. Among them are two Pear Trees, two Cherry Trees, two Peach Trees, and two Apple trees.
My concern is with the Cherry Trees. They seem to be under attack by some type of pest, and I’m hoping a few of the more seasoned folks on this forum could point me in the right direction to identify the source of the attack and potentially provide ideas on how to protect them before it’s too late. I’m attaching a photo as I’m sure it’s much more likely to present relevant facts than any explanation I could muster.
3C9D30D4-C735-4449-860D-7F4EA592FDBE.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello all,
I’m new to the forum and relatively new to the world of fruit trees. I’ve recently (April this year) planted a number of fruit trees. Among them are two Pear Trees, two Cherry Trees, two Peach Trees, and two Apple trees.
My concern is with the Cherry Trees. They seem to be under attack by some type of pest, and I’m hoping a few of the more seasoned folks on this forum could point me in the right direction to identify the source of the attack and potentially provide ideas on how to protect them before it’s too late. I’m attaching a photo as I’m sure it’s much more likely to present relevant facts than any explanation I could muster.View attachment 68057
It could be either insects or caterpillars as both can skeletonize leaves. There is an organic pesticide called Spinosad Soap that will control both very quickly.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi,
To be honest if you look at the conditions you've planted this tree in you'll soon find after you've wasted money using any insect pesticide
they problem will return big time, all these pesticides only kill what already on the plant /trees, They dont kill wants camping under the tree;

You have planted (without any stake for wind protection) and you've not kept the area around the top of the rooted /bottom of the tree clear of the grass etc, this area is full of bacteria and a pathway (or in this case a Motorway) for all these pest to just hop on your tree,
cut a circle now around the tree's bottom and remove that grass;
When planting a new tree,
Stand the tree 'roots completley submerged in a bucket of warm water (not freezing cold as trees do suffer shock) do this until all air bubbles have stopped,
By digging the area for planting making sure you have good drainage (Better to sort drainage out now rather than not doing it and having root rot later) Then a stake is driven in ready to recieve the complete root ball" later"

Now a bottom layer of earth/compost mixed with a slow acting fertilizer and then the new young tree is place in place and then the hole filled with good compost ensuring you've heeled the tree all the way round the top soil,
and nows the time to water in the complete planted area and then secure with tree holding ties, But dont tie just now "Let the plant settle for a few hours" And then secure the tree using the ties,

The cleared area around the tree is for two things (A) to act as a feed area for liquids tobe watered in this ground area , By clearing grass etc away from the tree you'll only be feeding the trees roots and not the grass that was in place,

(B) to stop insects living under the tree and being able to attack the tree, Also its perfect for a mulch area,

When the tree has grown it will anchor itself via the root system "but as that tree stands now" it's a wind problem waiting to happen and the trees tiny roots wont have a chance to grip befor they're ripped out,

During the start of the season you can give the tree's trunk a ligh lime wash, (Use a hand paint brush) this will also deter insect's crawing up the stem and nesting in the trunk.
This all may seem a lot to do "But this tree in your cas is a food offering supply And will last for year If the tree is allowed to start off well
(y) Good luck and enjoy years of fresh cherry,

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you both for the quic replies. Peace perfect peace, I’ve just finished clearing out the bases of ALL the trees I’ve planted according to your suggestion and have staked them to prevent wind damage. I had accumulated the stakes and chord, must admit the placement fell to the wayside when other things came up.
Chuck, thanks for the recommendation, I’ll be heading out this afternoon to my local greenhouse to pick up some Spinosad Soap or other organic pesticide should they not carry the one you’ve mentioned. I hope the prevention methods recommended will keep me from having to go through too much pesticide application in the future but I fear if do nothing about the present situation, the trees won’t live to benefit from the now cleared bases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you both for the quic replies. Peace perfect peace, I’ve just finished clearing out the bases of ALL the trees I’ve planted according to your suggestion and have staked them to prevent wind damage. I had accumulated the stakes and chord, must admit the placement fell to the wayside when other things came up.
Chuck, thanks for the recommendation, I’ll be heading out this afternoon to my local greenhouse to pick up some Spinosad Soap or other organic pesticide should they not carry the one you’ve mentioned. I hope the prevention methods recommended will keep me from having to go through too much pesticide application in the future but I fear if do nothing about the present situation, the trees won’t live to benefit from the now cleared bases.
Please send pictures of the bases of ALL the trees. It must be determined if they are planted too deep. Planting too deep can and will cause all kinds of problems. The root flare must be exposed.

P

Peace perfect peace

TIP,
Washing up Liquid if used offten will also kill insects,
It's said its the oil content that the insects are trapped by "hence" death.

I have tried this method as an emergency task and it did seem to help but as the insects had already done damage i'd sooner spray pre attacks rather than after.

Ask a Question