Can I prune back my Sungolds without hurting the plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I doubt it. MT are probably patented and even if not where would you begin to look. All heirlooms were at one time a hybrid.
Chuck, if I were to breed my own tomato for the first time, I'd want to shoot for color oddity, so when I began saving seeds from generations down, I can easily go for ones who's fruits are showing the color I bred it to be. Let's say I bred a black with a yellow tomato. I'd continually save out seeds from only the fruits with yellow/black bi-coloring. Ok, now, when I first rubbed the pollen of at least several blossoms of a black tomato onto a yellow tomato blossom, would the tomato that is produced on the yellow plant already show the discoloration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, if I were to breed my own tomato for the first time, I'd want to shoot for color oddity, so when I began saving seeds from generations down, I can easily go for ones who's fruits are showing the color I bred it to be. Let's say I bred a black with a yellow tomato. I'd continually save out seeds from only the fruits with yellow/black bi-coloring. Ok, now, when I first rubbed the pollen of at least several blossoms of a black tomato onto a yellow tomato blossom, would the tomato that is produced on the yellow plant already show the discoloration?
I am not familiar with or qualified enough to even talk about breeding tomatoes. Its way above my pay grade. But I do know that one doesn't just randomly breed plants. One important thing is that it has to be replicable, time and time again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, you mean breed tomato types that are similar like fruit types, disease resistances, weather tolerances?
Disease resistance is very important and so is the temperature the fruit will set at. I don't know much about it but I do know that random cross pollination just ain't gonna work. Believe it or not there is a lot of science involved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't see gardening as a science. But I would still like to try crossbreeding. Somebody started it sometime! If it fails, it fails. Try, try again, and hope for the best! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't see gardening as a science. But I would still like to try crossbreeding. Somebody started it sometime! If it fails, it fails. Try, try again, and hope for the best! :)
Well, just remember that if you cross pollinate tomatoes that the tomato you get this year won't be a cross but the seeds out of this years tomato will be next years cross. I have a hard enough time getting things to grow this year without worrying about next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh yes. Just pray hard that your plants will do good for you! I want to thank-you for all the advice you have given me-especially that on switching to organic. Furthermore I wish to say that I'm sure you're seeing that headfullofbees and I dislike each other. I think he's going to dislike me more-so now because I'm declaring my belief in God. If he wants to hate me for that, let him go ahead. It is written. I am a Christian. We Christians will be hated. But no matter who hates for me for my Christianity, God loves me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Why would you want to create hybrids when you state you only want to use heirlooms?
I don't dislike you; I am merely correcting you where you are wrong.
Yesterday, at 4.43pm BST, Becky posted that there was to be no more talk of religion on here.
Last night, at 10.50pm BST, you posted again about god and religion.
I have no intention of going against Becky's wishes by answering such nonsense, but I find religion, ALL RELIGION, deeply offensive because of the harm it has done over the centuries, including delaying science which has affected my wife.
In such circumstances, I must warn you, and any others on the forum, that I intend to report any further posts which mention deities or religious beliefs, and I hope and expect they'll be acted upon by the management.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As for your hatred for Christianity-just me say this. I am sorry for you, and will pray for you. As for my attempt for creating a hybrid, I intend to dehybridize my creation into a stable, open pollinated variety if possible. Chuck said all heirlooms were once hybrids. So someone started somewhere.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed the last couple of posts, as it was going waaaaaaaaaay off-topic for a gardening forum. Let's avoid the religious talk and stick the gardening!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Ian, I am grateful for your help in this matter, and although it includes deleting a post of mine, it was only made in the context of those preceding.
I do not like being a tell-tale, but it seemed the least harmful way of dealing with the problem, since she just wouldn't be told.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, I think and hope the problem is over. From what the person told me she will not be back.

Ask a Question