Raspberries in need of help or a prune??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I've got a lovely row of raspberries in my back garden which gave us some lovely fruits last year!

But I wasn't able to prune/ cut them or to do anything else due to newborn baby.
I'm starting to clean up the back garden and to get everything ready for summer hopefully but half of the branches of the raspberries look dead to me. I hope the picture is clear of the raspberries.

What can I do to help them grow better and to keep on growing? I'm an absolute noob but trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks very much

Attachments

• IMG_20190405_171451.jpg
    IMG_20190405_171451.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 159
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
My own raspberries just started growing new shoots on the old ones from last year. You only have to prune them if you want them to stay a little smaller. Allowing fresh shoots and making space for them is always a good thing to do. Remove dead branches if there are any, they should be perfectly fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have a small patch. About your size. After fruiting in the Fall I simply cut off at ground level,weed and add a bit of compost. I pick them daily about September until frost and eat them fresh. I get about a bowl daily for 30 days. A real treat.

Ask a Question