How to prune a Maple sapling

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello.

I have a small maple tree which is 5 feet tall and am wondering how to prune it and if that should even be done. It has leaves all the way down to the bottom. There is also a branch coming off the main branch, about a foot from the bottom. This is shown in the second image and I wonder if this smaller one should be cut off. Also, can anyone identify what species of maple this is? I transplanted this last year from a neighbour's yard. It has grown 4 feet since then and is currently growing about 3 or 4 inches per week.

Thanks for any advice.

Michael

DSC01562.JPG

DSC01564.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Don’t trim it now. At this time of year the leaves are working to feed the roots. Since the tree is obviously quite happy in its new location I would let it go at least one more year and see what happens. I don’t know the species but if I had to guess I would say either Acer spicatum or Acer pseudoplatanus.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for your advice. Seems sensible if leaves are supplying energy to the tree. I just wondered if that off-shoot branch near the bottom was going to deform the tree in later years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
hard to totally tell from the pic. but if there is a branch that is growing on top of another one, and can rub on it or press on it in the growing process cut that one off. as the rubbing can cause harm with opening in the bark, and bugs etc can get in. other than that leave it alone. sounds like it will be a good size Maple.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the input. The smaller branch is not touching. I was afraid that it may lop side the tree in the future but I think I will just leave it as it is and prune next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
sometime, in lots of cases , I have noted that some gardeners are Prune Happy. with all the vast plants and shrubs I have its rare I prune yearly everything. I may do a good one on say my Rhodos, and then leave alone for 5 years. not every hydrangeas gets pruned, have never yet pruned my lilac bushes. (now 7 years old)

Ask a Question