To prune or not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Posting about my Mom’s peach tree I planted for her last summer. She sent me this pic and said about 15 peaches are growing on it. Should I have her prune them since it’s still a young tree or do you all think it’s just mature enough to let it do it’s thing this season.

Attachments

• F3036B8E-BD35-42D8-8F67-0706C60548D7.jpeg
    F3036B8E-BD35-42D8-8F67-0706C60548D7.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 350

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If it were mine, I think I might thin the fruit to something like 5-10 peaches. Late winter time next year, I would prune to maintain an open center shape to maximize the availability of sunshine to the fruiting process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Leave no more than one peach per branch, if, and only if the branch can EASILY support the weight of a mature fruit. Go buy something that size and tape it to the branch, then make a judgement call. The trees generally set more fruit than they can grow into "market" size. Commercial growers reduce them to one fruit per cluster to grow nice products. If there are no other peach trees nearby, you may get away with not spraying the several times per season, or not. Feed it with Miracle Grow every week April to September.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You shouldn’t even plant or gift trees if you can’t figure dis one out. You should stick to growing grass or wild flowers for now. Google is a wonderful thing.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You shouldn’t even plant or gift trees if you can’t figure dis one out. You should stick to growing grass or wild flowers for now. Google is a wonderful thing.

This forum is a place where people are polite to each other. Your insults are not necessary, or appreciated.

Who are you, to tell someone what they should plant? Or what they should gift people? :asshat:

Reaction score
Country
United States
This forum is a place where people are polite to each other. Your insults are not necessary, or appreciated.

Who are you, to tell someone what they should plant? Or what they should gift people? :asshat:

I’m not insulting just trying to teach that person and maybe I come off as harsh but sometimes it takes a push to get it through someone’s head. I’m very knowledgeable with gardening in general, so YES I’m entitled to my opinion!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’m not insulting just trying to teach that person and maybe I come off as harsh but sometimes it takes a push to get it through someone’s head. I’m very knowledgeable with gardening in general, so YES I’m entitled to my opinion!

"You shouldn't plant trees, or even give them to people if you can't figure this out?" You do not see that as insulting?

"You should stick to growing grass." You do not see that as insulting?
dubious.gif

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I see it as someone being brutally honest and trying to help this person so they don’t humiliate themself in da future.

What do you think this forum is for? One reason people join this forum to have their questions answered. Asking a question, any question, is not "to humiliate oneself."

Everyone learns something for the first time, at least once. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United States
What do you think this forum is for? One reason people join this forum to have their questions answered. Asking a question, any question, is not "to humiliate oneself."

Everyone learns something for the first time, at least once. :rolleyes:

Hmm then maybe I should leave dis forum. I thought dis was more for talk among “pros”.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

You are entitled to your opinion, but that does not mean you are entitled to have your opinion accepted, nor does it mean there are no consequences for expressing it. I think it's clear from your repeated rudeness that you will not be a good fit here.

Ask a Question