Do I prune ever bearing strawberries growing in a trough?

QT.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, new to strawberry growing this year, and this forum. Hope someone can advise. Ive tended to the june fruiting strawberries by cutting leaves back etc after fruiting, cutting off excess runners, but nor sure what to do with the everbearing plants - i only bought two of these but they are still flowering and fruiting. They are planted in a small trough.

They have grown shoots over the sides of the pot which are also flowering and fruiting, some of them several feet long. Should i cut everything right back to a few inches off the soil, like I did the june bearing ones, or be a bit less radical? Thanks in advance for any thoughts offered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Ever-bearers tend to wear themselves out quickly, for obvious reasons.
If you can, take runners every year.
Doing so now, rather than in Spring is best, because they can get good root establishment.
Any you do take, cut off flowers immediately to concentrate on that root growth.

QT.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever-bearers tend to wear themselves out quickly, for obvious reasons.
If you can, take runners every year.
Doing so now, rather than in Spring is best, because they can get good root establishment.
Any you do take, cut off flowers immediately to concentrate on that root growth.

Thank you so much for this advice, much appreciated.

Kind regards

Ask a Question