How to retrain/prune passionfruit?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a very strange problem... I bought a passionfruit vine and decided to let it climb the bottlebrush when it moved itself off the fence, but now the bottom is nearly 2 inches thick and bare, and all the fruit is unreachable and it's actually covering half the canopy of the big bottlebrush tree. It's on a hil so ladders are out of the question. I'd like to know how I can either prune it and retrain the growth or even better, move it. It has giant fruit bigger than your fist. If I can't move it, how can I take a cutting? It currently feeds and attracts sulpher crested cockatoos and fruit bats, which isn't bad, but I love the fruit too. The plant is about 4 years old.

Edit: I'd also like to know how to move Grape Vines as well, but from the wrong side of the wire fence... I haven't been able to get to any of them for months, there were big plants put in front of them and I want them back... Also I was wrong- the passionfruit base is sprouting and actually is a full two inches thick with multiple thick branches. <3

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
That's great your feeding the cockatoos and fruit bats. Maybe Letting a Fruit fully ripen and save the seed to sow maybe a good way to start off a new plant as I don't think They move that easy. Grape vines Get harder to move the Older they are in General but can be moved if care is taken. But would it not be easyer just to Train it over to the Right side instead of moving it ?..............

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That's one of the problems, we can't get any ripe fruit at all... We can only get the raw, half eaten stuff the cockatoos and fruit bats drop. The Grape Vines are still small, less than 2m long each, and I know they die off for the Winter so maybe then? And the passionfruit is actually choking out the bottlebrush slightly by covering its canopy, which is a big problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Growing passion fruit from seed is frustrating to say the least. They can take up to 2 years to germinate and have a low percentage of germination too. I would try air layering a few of the branches. This will give you exact duplicates of the mother plant. There are lots of videos on YouTube on air layering. Once you have your young plants, then cut the mother plant off leaving one or two hearty lower branches to supply nutrition. Train the new branches as you would a grape vine and when they are well established cut off the old branches. The passion vine is a vigorous grower and with proper training it can be a real focal point.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Grape vine is very easy to move. There is no science to it. Just dig the roots up. Passionfruit can go everywhere if you let it. Just cut it off and keep a hawkish eye on the tendrils. They can cover a mature tree. Shame we don't have that size of passionfruits here. Eating the fruits early in the morning is most refreshing.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Alright, thanks! The main issue now will be how to get it out of the tree once we cut it... >_>

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Cut it to where you can still reach it. In a couple of months the little hooks that grab branches will dry out and get brittle. You can then easily pull them out.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi there, I need some advice please. My passionfruit/granidilla tree leaves are getting holes in them and going brown. It is bearing fruits already and still growing. Any advice on how to treat this problem

Attachments

• IMG_20240321_185714.jpg
    IMG_20240321_185714.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 0

Ask a Question